Saturday, Sept. 14, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

'I feel like it’s really his year': J.J. Jones emerges as leader on UNC's offense

mayo bowl halftime-6.jpg

UNC junior wide receiver J.J. Jones (5) scores a touchdown during the football game against West Virginia in Bank of America Stadium during the Duke's Mayo Bowl on Wednesday, Dec. 27, 2023.

A unique email request landed in the inbox of UNC football’s media relations last month. It was a media poll granting Tar Heel graduate wide receiver J.J. Jones the ability to vote for preseason team rankings and all-ACC player ballots. 

Jones traveled to Charlotte for the ACC Football Kickoff — not as a player, but as a credentialed media member. Yet, due to his obvious conflict of interest, the wideout never got the chance to cast his vote. 

“We would have been number one, immediately,” Jones said.

Sports journalism is common ground for Jones, who just began pursuing a master's degree in the Hussman School of Journalism and Media. He has anchored the student-led sports broadcasting show, Sports Xtra, and co-hosted the annual Tar Heel athletics award show, the Rammys. All are strides towards one day landing his dream job of being on ESPN’s College Gameday desk. 

When Jones hangs up his UNC jersey for good, he’ll have a successful football career to add to his resume, too.

The 6-foot-2.5 inch pass catcher tallied 711 yards on 46 receptions last season, leading North Carolina’s receivers. This year, Jones will be UNC’s No. 1 option and a veteran leader in a room full of young talent. 

“He has taken advantage of what North Carolina has to offer him, as well as what we get out of him every day at practice and him busting his butt,” wide receivers coach Lonnie Galloway said. “J.J.’s a true student-athlete.” 

Had Jones been able to vote in the ACC preseason rankings, he would have been the lone voter to select UNC to win the conference. Instead, the Tar Heels are projected to finish eighth, the lowest projection of Jones’ career. But the pessimism doesn’t worry the veteran — he claims it only adds more fuel for his season. Of course, Jones hopes his confidence can inspire the rest of his team to prove the doubters wrong. 

“It puts the chips on my shoulder,” Jones said. “As a leader, it trickles down to the younger guys — knowing that some guys out there don’t believe in us.” 

'Big brother in the room'

When Jones first arrived in Chapel Hill in 2021, former Tar Heels Antoine Green and Josh Downs were there to show him the ropes. In what could be his final season, Jones wants to relay those same lessons to first-years like fellow wide receiver Jordan Shipp.

Because of Jones’ intentionality to hang out with the newcomer — often lounging in Shipp's dorm room — the 18-year old expressed how close the two have gotten in such a short time.

In the early trials of spring practice, Shipp revealed that Jones helped him push through mental challenges that plagued his ability to perform. He said he now looks to Jones as the “big brother in the room” whom he can trust with personal challenges. 

“The success I’m gonna have this year, definitely a lot of it will go to J.J.,” Shipp said. “Him mentoring me through and keeping me stable and keeping me in the right mindset.” 

Jones’ leadership style is simple. Galloway said he sets the example for young guys through his approach to drills, learning plays and showing what it takes to play at the next level. All factors that led Jones to be voted as the offensive team leader by his teammates.

“[He has] all the things that Coach Brown and myself look for in a kid,” Galloway said. “Someone who has great character.”

'It's really his year'

As for what UNC’s deep threat has in store, his coach decreed a lofty goal: All-ACC First Team — it's feasible given his ability to stretch the field and run a polished route tree.

A year and a half removed from a hip injury that required surgery, Jones is now fully healthy. 

“Even though he has been banged up some, he plays no matter what,” Galloway said. “He wants to play no matter what. That’s a great quality in a young man because you're only going to feel great the first day of practice.” 

From the eyes of the first-year, Shipp sees Jones as the statement piece of the team’s passing attack. He noted him not just as the guy, but as “our” guy. A title that places full confidence in the production Jones will create.  

“[He’s] the guy that we know if we need a play we know we can go to,” Shipp said. “We’ve got a lot of guys in the room, but for J.J., I feel like it’s really his year.” 

@cadeshoemaker23