Saturday, Sept. 14, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Analysis: Assessing the UNC players in the NFL

sports-football-tar-heels-in-the-pros
Photos courtesy of Lara Crochik, Dylan Thiessen, Olivia Paul, and Adobe Stock

When asking a football player what their dream career would be, their answer will probably be to play in the NFL. And for 24 former UNC football players, that dream is now a reality. 

Since 2008, eight Tar Heels have been selected in the first round of the NFL Draft — which tallies for third most in the ACC — with even more being selected in later rounds. With this success, here's a look at the former North Carolina players spanning the NFL. 

Led by the efforts of current head coach Mack Brown, the Tar Heels' offense is renowned, ranking seventh in total offense last season. With such continuous success throughout the years, 15 offensive players from UNC currently play in the pros. 

After being drafted third overall by the New England Patriots in the 2024 NFL Draft, former quarterback Drake Maye is at the helm of most discussions. During a preseason match against the Philadelphia Eagles on August 15, Maye recorded his first touchdown in the NFL after rushing for four yards into the end zone. 

Although it is unclear if Maye or former Washington Commanders quarterback Jacoby Brissett will get the start in the upcoming season, Maye will provide much-needed depth to the quarterback room as the first or second string. 

Two other former North Carolina quarterbacks — Sam Howell and Mitchell Trubisky — have also found success in the NFL. 

Howell is entering his third year, likely backing up Seahawks quarterback Geno Smith this season after being traded by the Washington Commanders. In the 2023 season, Howell recorded 3,946 yards and threw for 388 completions on 612 attempts.

Trubisky may find himself in a similar situation. The former Tar Heel is now in his eighth pro season and will back up Buffalo Bills star Josh Allen after bouncing around between the Chicago Bears and the Pittsburgh Steelers. 

Wide receiver Josh Downs has also made a name for himself following his rookie season with the Colts. He posted 771 receiving yards and two touchdowns.

After missing the first four games of his single season stint at UNC due to NCAA eligibility issues, wide receiver Devontez “Tez” Walker will perform on the big stage for the first time this season. Walker is already displaying his speed in offseason games as a new deep threat after being drafted to the Baltimore Ravens in the fourth round in April. 

In the backfield, Vikings running back Ty Chandler will look to make an impact and increase his snaps after the release of running back Dalvin Cook. Chandler totaled 461 yards and three touchdowns in 2023.  

Javonte Williams is in his second year as the Broncos’ starting running back and will be a crucial part of the offense this year. He finished the 2023 season with 774 rushing yards and three touchdowns while recovering from a prior knee injury. 

Although the defense is less renowned, UNC has produced defensive players that have found success in the NFL, especially in the linebacker position. 

Chazz Surratt is entering his third season. The New York Jet is coming off a career-high six tackles in the 2023 season and is looking to bolster those stats in 2024.

Despite going undrafted in 2024, Raiders rookie Amari Gainer could see some playing time this season. He posted three solo tackles in his first preseason game and could provide some added depth to the position. 

Cedric Gray is another player who might see the field during his rookie year. He helped lead the defense for the past four seasons with UNC, recording 369 tackles and five interceptions. Gray will look to make a similar impact with the Tennessee Titans in the upcoming seasons. 

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com