Thursday, Sept. 12, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC students reflect, share advice on transition back into the school year

20240818_McKee_university-move-in-process-119.jpg
Members of The Union of Black Men at UNC assist with freshman move-in at Hinton James Residence Hall on Saturday, August 17, 2024. Members volunteered from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday through Saturday.

It’s no secret that starting college is a difficult transition. For many people, it’s their first time living away from home, and the transition typically comes at a developmental age when brains are highly sensitive to stress. 

Though adjusting to college life is difficult, thousands of UNC students successfully manage the transition every year. As the school year begins, some returning UNC students reflect on how they managed the transition, and incoming first-years share their feelings about moving to college. 

Olivia Key, a senior geology major, said that she’s still working on prioritizing healthy habits over her schoolwork.

“I’ll be prioritizing sleep and trying to get as much work done during the day as I can," Key said.

Key is good friends with Valeria Orozco, a senior geology and geography major. The two credit their friendship with helping them navigate the college transition.

“We, for example, like working out together," Orozco said. "We are the same major, so we do a lot of homework together, and it’s awesome because you make a friend that you can have all four years." 

Keith Johnson, a sophomore biology major, said that sports helped him manage his personal academic transition.

“I just met a lot of cool guys, cool people,” he said. “Then from there, some of them were in my classes, so we made study groups, which helped me propel myself academically.” 

Scientific research supports Key, Orozco and Johnson’s experiences where physical activity helped them navigate their college transitions psychologically. Ling Beisecker, a fourth year PhD candidate researching physical activity and mental health as women transition into college, said that coupling exercise and social interaction is helpful to combat loneliness and reap the benefits of exercise during the college transition. 

Beisecker suggested creating a plan with detailed actionable steps to develop a healthy exercise routine.

“It can be something like, I’d like to go with a friend and just walk around the Student Rec Center so I have an idea of what it even is and what classes are available,” she said

Incoming first-years Ryan Young and Evan Zhou expect college academics to be less structured than what they’re used to in high school.

Young said that he plans on implementing designated study times within his class schedule to add structure to his days. 

“I have my classes so there’s some in the morning, and then I have the middle of the day, which I plan on using to study, and then I have my classes finish up in the afternoon,” Young said.

Zhou also said that sticking to a productive routine is important. Nevertheless, he plans on being flexible with his routine as he finds his footing in college. 

Both Young and Zhou wonder how much they can take other people’s advice to heart.

“There might be some things that people might have over-exaggerated, but then some things that people under-exaggerated,” Zhou said.

Transitioning to college is difficult, but Johnson has a message of optimism for first-year students.

“You get to call yourself a Tar Heel at the end of the day, so have fun!” he said.

@brigitlpierce

@dthlifestyle | lifestyle@dailytarheel.com