Saturday, Sept. 14, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Five-star 2025 wing Nyla Brooks commits to UNC women's basketball

Diehl-UNC-WBBALL-MarchMadnessRound1-Selects-13.JPG
UNC Head Coach Courtney Banghart cheers on the team during the final moments of the first round game of the Women’s NCAA tournament against Michigan State in the Colonial Life Arena in Columbia, South Carolina on Friday, March 22, 2024. UNC defeated Michigan State 59-56.

On Thursday, class of 2025 five-star wing Nyla Brooks committed to the UNC women's basketball team after announcing her plans via an Instagram post.

Brooks initially committed to Tennessee but reopened her recruitment in April after the team's former head coach Kellie Harper was fired. Before ultimately choosing the Tar Heels, she narrowed her choices down to Georgia, Tennessee, Maryland and UNC.

She took an official visit to UNC in June before committing two months later.

Brooks is the No. 14 ranked prospect in her class, according to ESPN. She looks to have an immediate impact behind the arc.

Last year, the then high school junior averaged 19.8 points and 6.1 rebounds per game. She will likely work to keep this momentum heading into her first season with the Tar Heels next year. 

This is the second five star head coach Courtney Banghart has secured this week. Brooks will join five-star guard Taliyah Henderson. 

@_emmahmoon

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com