Saturday, Sept. 14, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

No. 2 UNC field hockey defeats No. 12 Michigan, 4-1, to begin 2024 season

Lewis-25082023-UMICHFH-101.jpg
Sophomore midfielder/back Sietske Bruning (17) dribbles the ball at the UNC field hockey season opener against Michigan on Aug. 25, 2023, in Karen Shelton Stadium. UNC won 3-2.

The reigning national champions and No. 2 ranked North Carolina women’s field hockey (1-0) began the season with a 4-1 win against the No. 12 Michigan (0-1) in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge.

The Wolverines opened the first quarter with an offensive drive that lasted for the first four minutes of the quarter. In that time, Michigan managed to get off four different shot attempts, but two were saved by UNC's senior goalkeeper Abigail Taylor.  

The Tar Heels had few offensive looks, but managed to escape the quarter with the score still 0-0. Head coach Erin Matson expressed how the first game always starts a little slow, but once the team starts playing as one and picking up the energy, the Tar Heels would be in control of the tempo.

The second quarter was a different story as UNC began to pound away at Michigan's defense. The Tar Heel's offensive presence led to a goal in the 22nd minute by senior forward Lisa Slinkert, assisted by junior forward Ryleigh Heck. 

Slinker’s opening goal created some momentum for North Carolina as sophomore forward Charly Bruder netted an unassisted goal to push the Tar Heels to 2-0 lead as halftime approached. 

But Michigan responded in less than two minutes into the third quarter. A tip from a corner shot managed to get past Taylor to find the back of the net. 

In an attempt to complete the come back, Michigan began substituting players to put fresh legs on the field.  

Still, the strategy did not work as UNC continued to push forward and score again late in the third. This time junior midfielder Sietske Brüning scored on a penalty corner tipped off a defender. The Tar Heels took a 3-1 lead. 

Although Michigan pulled its goalie in a last minute effort, the empty net was too big and sophomore midfielder Sanne Hak scored to seal North Carolina's first win of the season.

“[This game] set a great tone.," Matson said. "I’m glad it wasn’t necessarily pretty, they needed to dig deep, they needed to fight, they need to get uncomfortable and handle challenges throughout the game."

This matchup kicked off the ACC-Big Ten Challenge. UNC will continue play with a game against No. 6 Iowa on Sunday at 11 a.m. in Michigan. 

@C_Gouldielocks

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com