Saturday, Sept. 14, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

All-American running back Omarion Hampton aims for new heights in 2024 season

sports-football-omarion-hampton-feature-august-2024.png
Photos courtesy of Heather Diehl and Adobe Stock

Omarion Hampton is a man of few words. 

But on the field, he’s anything but a quiet force. 

At ACC Kickoff in July, Hampton was dressed to the nines in a suit. A silver chain with a large diamond-encrusted No. 28 hung prominently against his UNC blue tie. 

In that outfit, the junior running back revealed his goal for the year: 2,000 yards. 

“Do you think that’s possible?” a reporter quipped.

“Yeah,” Hampton said, cracking a smile. “I think that’s possible.”

And why not? Last year, he totaled 253 carries for 1,504 yards, ranking fifth in the nation and leading the ACC. The accolades piled on from there: All-American, first-team All-ACC and a Doak Walker Award Finalist, presented to the top running back in college football. 

Hampton’s soft-spoken persona may contrast his high aspirations on the field, but to those who know him, it’s what makes him who he is. 

‘We didn’t have the equipment to handle him’

On a whiteboard in Cleveland High School’s weight room, Hampton’s name is everywhere. 

The board is used to designate the football team’s all-time records for lifts by each position group. Hampton, who played both linebacker and running back for the Rams, occupies eight spots

In blue ink, his 405-pound bench, 325-pound incline, 565-pound squat and 370-pound hang clean records still stand today for both positions. 

“We let him max out in squat after his sophomore year in high school because the bar would bend if you put any more weight on it,” his high school coach Scott Riley said. “We didn't have the equipment to handle him.”

At Cleveland High, he rushed for a total of 5,370 yards and 88 touchdowns. In his sophomore year alone, he broke into the top-100 in NCHSAA history for single-season rushing yards, posting 2,403

Wherever he moved on the field in high school, according to Riley, several defensive players followed — trying, with mixed success, to stop Hampton. Like the Cleveland equipment, few could handle him.

But, Hampton’s rushing or weight room records are not what Riley remembers most about his former player, rather his love for the game. 

In his sophomore year, Hampton rolled his ankle mid-game, prompting Riley to sideline his star during a portion of practice the following week. Hampton was mad. During his high school career, that's the only time he ever became angry at a coach. 

"To him, we were keeping him from doing what he loves," Riley said

Moments like those also showed Hampton’s work ethic that left an impression on the entire Cleveland squad. 

“He’s a great leader without ever saying anything,” Riley said.

‘Workman’ attitude

Each week, Hampton switches off between arm and leg routines every other day in the North Carolina weight room. Unlike at Cleveland, he doesn’t focus on maxing out anymore, rather consistency and more reps. 

He still lifts big weights, but he prefers his new routine. It’s still a part of his game. 

“I feel like that’s something I love, just staying fit, staying in the weight room, just lifting weights all the time in my free time,” Hampton said.

Like his high school days, the running back is still reserved

His “workman” attitude, a term conceived by UNC offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey, does a lot of the talking for him. 

Head coach Mack Brown said Hampton only speaks when spoken to during practice, usually just to say, "Yes, sir," before running to complete the drill or play. He doesn’t leave the practice field until he has finished every run through the goal line.

“I’ve never been around a player that’s talented and had the success that he’s had and just be steady every day,” Lindsey said. “He’s very grounded.”

When he scores a touchdown, his demeanor stays the same. No celebration, rarely any emotion. He seldom pays attention to the awards. 

“I’m kind of just a chill person,” Hampton said. “[I] don’t be on like a lot of the social media stuff. I just love the game.”

He doesn’t want to focus on his NFL Draft prospects. He never considered transferring from North Carolina, even though he was offered four times as much money to leave as he would earn to stay, according to Brown.  

During the offseason, his all-business mentality was narrowly focused on becoming an “all-around back” by improving his routes and pass catching — all intended to hit the 2,000 yard mark.

Not for notoriety or awards, but for his team and love of football. 

“Attention and being on TV and having 55,000 people in Kenan screaming his name, none of that's important to him,” Riley said. “It's just, ‘I get to try to run somebody over.’ That's what he likes.”

@carolinewills03