Friday, Sept. 13, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Analysis: A look ahead at UNC football's 2024 schedule

sports-football-schedule-preview.png
Photos courtesy of Kennedy Cox, Chad Robertson - stock.adobe.com, and Adobe Stock

After ending the 2023 season on a three-game skid, an unranked UNC football squad is looking to bounce back. Predicted to finish eighth in the ACC this season, here's a look ahead at North Carolina's 2024 schedule:

To kick off the year, the Tar Heels will travel to Minnesota on Thursday to face a talented Gopher team. Since they beat the garnet-and-yellow in Chapel Hill last season, UNC is looking to win its first true road season opener since 1992. Importantly, this game will set the tone for the season. 

After starting the season on the road, the Tar Heels will return to Kenan Stadium for a three-game home stint.

North Carolina will face the rest of their non-conference opponents over three weeks, starting with UNC Charlotte on Sept. 7 followed by North Carolina Central University and James Madison University.

UNC Charlotte finished last season with a 3-9 record, but any in-state opponent will be a test for the Tar Heels. NCCU is a team that UNC should keep on their radar, as the Eagles finished the 2023 season with a 9-3 record and will come to Chapel Hill hungry on Sept. 14.

The Tar Heels will look to end their non-conference schedule on a positive note when James Madison makes the journey to Chapel Hill on Sept. 21. The Dukes finished the 2023 season with an 11-2 record, rolling past numerous Sun Belt conference powerhouses. However, the team lost head coach Curt Cignetti to Indiana University after their last conference game

a1-football-timeline-2024.png
Texture courtesy of Adobe Stock

Next on the docket is an oh-so-familiar foe: Duke.

After squeaking by their long-time rivals last season in double overtime, North Carolina looks to extend their win streak against Duke to six.

The Tar Heels can't underestimate the offensive prowess of the Blue Devils, with Texas transfer Maalik Murphy now leading the team in the pocket. UNC will travel to Durham after the conclusion of their non-conference slate on Sept. 28.

North Carolina will continue its conference schedule with consecutive home games against Pittsburgh and Georgia Tech.

The Tar Heels will aim to defeat the Panthers on Oct. 5 for the third consecutive season and remain undefeated against Pittsburgh at home.

Next, North Carolina will face a sneaky Georgia Tech team on Oct. 12. The Tar Heels have recently struggled against the Yellow Jackets, falling to them in each of the last three matchups. 

After that, the team will hit the road, traveling to both Virginia and Florida State on Oct. 26 and Nov. 2, respectively.

UNC will look to bounce back from last season’s home loss to the Cavaliers in the newest edition of the South’s Oldest Rivalry.

The Tar Heels will then enter dangerous territory in Tallahassee in a matchup against the Seminoles. FSU finished 13-1 last season and won the ACC Championship, earning a spot in the Orange Bowl. The Seminoles are the preseason favorite to win the ACC title in 2024. 

Florida State checked in at No. 10 in The Associated Press's national preseason poll, so UNC will need to be fundamentally sound against FSU if they want to pull off the upset.

The Tar Heels return home for their penultimate home game of the season against Wake Forest on Nov. 16. Hoping to extend their win streak against the Demon Deacons to four games, UNC must prepare for an offensive dogfight.

North Carolina will then travel to Boston College to round out its road schedule. The Tar Heels have lost to Boston College only twice.

For the last game of the regular season, North Carolina will host N.C. State on Nov. 30. UNC has fallen to the Wolfpack in the last three matchups. The Tar Heels must prepare for an explosive quarterback in Grayson McCall if the team wants to swing the series back in their favor.

@j_kidd03

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com