Saturday, Sept. 14, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Analysis: A healthy secondary builds defensive confidence under new coach

sports-football-secondary-position-preview.png
Photos courtesy of Jerome Ibrahim, Kennedy Cox, Ira Wilder, and Adobe Stock

With a new defensive coordinator and a handful of returning veterans in the secondary room, UNC football’s defense is looking to redefine its identity.

Despite returning faces, the secondary will have a new look under defensive coordinator Geoff Collins, whose scheme emphasizes the importance of the secondary. To Collins, the secondary is the most mentally and physically demanding position on the field.

But the coach believes that the secondary is well-equipped to handle the new style because of the veterans and leaders that set the tone in fall camp. 

“They’ve got a chip on their shoulder,” Collins said.

Leaders, such as graduate defensive back Alijah Huzzie, are returning to continue to help UNC's defensive efforts. Huzzie finished his 2023 season with 42 tackles and three interceptions. Huzzie is a versatile defensive back that is skilled in man coverage, as well as being a threat on special teams. 

He does not stand alone in the veteran category. An N.C. State graduate transfer and defensive back, Jakeen Harris, is returning from an early season pectoral injury in 2023.  

For the Wolfpack, Harris played a total of five seasons, racking up 166 tackles, four picks and one sack. In a standout season in 2020, he posted a total of 65 tackles, six pass deflections and one interception on the season. 

Harris isn’t the only member of the secondary returning from injury. Junior defensive back Marcus Allen missed all of spring training after having knee surgery to repair a partial meniscus tear in March.

However, the injury did not deter Allen from continuing to put in the work during the offseason.

According to Collins, Allen has added eight to 10 pounds of muscle in the offseason, which will allow him to take on more physical matchups with opposing wide receivers. If he can stay healthy throughout the year, Allen will be a valuable member of the secondary. Last season, Allen started in 13 games for the Tar Heels, recording 49 tackles, one interception and eight pass break ups.  

Junior defensive back DeAndre Boykins is also returning to the field after missing the entire 2023 season with a lower body injury. Expectations are high for Boykins, who tallied 67 tackles during his sophomore year. In 14 starts, he notched one interception plus two quarterback sacks. 

Another experienced veteran in the secondary is Antavious Lane. Last year, Lane appeared in 11 games and tallied 62 tackles, one pass break up and forced one fumble after transferring from Georgia State. In his sixth year, the 5-foot-8.5 inch Lane will provide knowledge and experience to the secondary. 

Along with the veterans in the unit, North Carolina added first-years Zion Ferguson and Malcolm Ziglar, as well as Tyrane Stewart, who enters as a junior.

With the amount of veterans in the group, the camaraderie and understanding between one another has already been on display in fall camp, according to Collins.

“They are communicating at a high level,” he said

One key area that the Tar Heel secondary is focusing on is tackling. Over the past few seasons, numerous missed tackles have led to big gains in critical late game situations. Collins stated that both tackling and pursuit of ball carriers can be improved each day, so he expects the North Carolina secondary to continue to get better as the season progresses. 

Collins and the secondary will look to bring a new and improved defensive look to the Tar Heel program this season. If the secondary can stay healthy, North Carolina's defensive backs are poised to make an impact. 

@C_Gouldielocks

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com