Monday, Sept. 16, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Analysis: Experienced wide receivers and tight ends headline UNC offense

sports-football-wide-receiver-tight-ends-position-preview.png
Photos courtesy of Kennedy Cox, Olivia Paul, and Adobe Stock

After boasting a conference-leading passing offense in 2023, the North Carolina pass-catchers enter this fall with both great expectations and responsibility.

However, the Tar Heels not only lost impactful receiver Devontez “Tez” Walkerto the NFL, but they also lost Drake Maye and his ability to deliver passes. 

Even as the current quarterback room is in the midst of a battle, UNC is still returning a great deal of experience and talent at the wide receiver and tight end positions. 

Wide Receivers

The starting wide receiving core will be headlined by a slew of familiar faces, starting with graduate J.J. Jones. Leading the team in receptions and yards last season — with 46 and 711 respectively — Jones showcased his ability to create separation from the cornerbacks on comebacks and sideline grabs. His deep route-running ability also poses a threat to the second level of the defense. 

Manning the slot is senior receiver Nate McCollum, who is entering his second season at North Carolina. McCollum showcased his elite talent after recording 15 receptions and 165 yards when UNC defeated Minnesota last season. 

Another returner to keep an eye out for is junior Kobe Paysour, who appeared in only the first five games of last season before suffering a season-ending injury. Despite the limited appearances, Paysour made an instant difference on the field, scoring a touchdown in each of three games and tallying 100 yards against Syracuse. 

The junior earned himself a spot on the College Sports Communicators 2024 Comeback Player of the Year Award watch list. A healthy Paysour adds depth to a wide receiver core that excites graduate transfer quarterback Max Johnson.

“We’ve got a bunch of studs,” Johnson said. “Each guy can take a slant to the crib.” 

Along with the veterans that compose the receiving core, first-year wide receiver Jordan Shipp is a name to keep an eye on. Shipp, a four-star prospect ranked as the third best player in North Carolina in the 2024 class, could emerge as a key weapon in North Carolina's passing attack.

Tight Ends

Whether it’s talent or depth, the North Carolina tight end room is full of it, ranking No. 3 on On3 against the nation's best squads.

Highlighting this crew is senior Bryson Nesbit, who made First Team All-ACC and earned AP All-ACC honors last season. Nesbit led all ACC tight ends in receiving yards with 585 while appearing in all twelve regular season games for UNC. 

The senior possesses great speed and route-running ability, often lining up in the bunch or the slot. These abilities, mixed with his 6-foot-5 frame, make him a nightmare mismatch against safeties and linebackers.

Graduate John Copenhaver is also returning to the squad as the reigning starter. Battling through injuries from last season, Copenhaver appeared in twelve games, starting in ten. Along with Nesbit, Copenhaver was named to the John Mackey Award Preseason Watch List, an award given to the nation’s most outstanding tight end.

In December, sophomore transfer Jake Johnson joined the two returners after two seasons at Texas A&M. Johnson — who was the fourth-ranked tight end available in the transfer portal — joins North Carolina alongside his older brother, Max Johnson. The tight end tallied 24 catches for 235 yards and four touchdowns in twelve games last season.

@dylanstalterr

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com