Saturday, Sept. 14, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Analysis: UNC football bolsters roster with strong transfer portal class

20240725_Skvoretz_UNC-FB-ACC-Kickoff-132.jpg

UNC graduate student quarterback Max Johnson answers questions from the audience during a press conference at the ACC Kickoff 2024 in the Hilton Charlotte Uptown on Thursday, July 25, 2024.

Following the departure of key players from the roster last season, UNC head coach Mack Brown turned to the transfer portal to fill those voids. 

The Tar Heels ranked 58th in the 2024 college football transfer rankings, bringing in ten transfers who offer a wealth of experience and talent to the 2024 depth chart.

Here is a look at some of the key transfers entering this season:

Max Johnson

Graduate quarterback Max Johnson played the past two seasons at Texas A&M following a two year stint at LSU. Last season, he served as the backup quarterback at Texas A&M until an injury to starting quarterback Conner Weigman bolstered Johnson to the starting line.In eight games, Johnson threw for 1,452 passing yards and nine touchdowns while posting a 62.1 percent completion rate. 

In the upcoming season, Johnson will be a potential option for the Tar Heels to fill the role of Drake Maye, but he will have to compete with graduate transfer Jacolby Criswell and sophomore Conner Harrell for the spot. 

Jacolby Criswell 

Jacolby Criswell returned to North Carolina this spring after he transferred to Arkansas for his junior season in 2023. With the Razorbacks, Criswell did not see much playing time, but appeared in four games and threw 17 completions on 27 passes for 143 yards and three touchdowns.

Criswell brings in previous experience with North Carolina's program, but he will still have to learn a new scheme under offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey. During fall practice, Brown indicated that due to Criswell's late arrival back to the program, it is unlikely that he will win the starting job. Still, Criswell offers valuable depth to the quarterback room.

Charleston French

Sophomore running back Charleston French transferred to UNC after one season at Itawamba Community College. In his previous season, French rushed for 924 yards and tallied eight touchdowns, earning him First Team All MACCC honors.  

French will provide depth to a talented running back room, led by junior Omarion Hampton. French enters UNC with three seasons of eligibility remaining, allowing time to develop into a player the Tar Heels can rely on in future seasons.

Jake Johnson

Sophomore tight end Jake Johnson joins his brother, Max, as another transfer from Texas A&M. In the 2023 season with the Aggies, Jake caught 24 passes for 235 yards and four touchdowns. The addition of Jake bolsters an already talented tight end room and will allow the North Carolina offense to utilize various sets. 

With three years of eligibility remaining, Johnson brings in young talent that can grow to be a fundamental part of UNC’s tight end room in the 2024 season and beyond. 

Joshua Harris

Graduate defensive lineman Joshua Harris joins the Tar Heels after playing last season at Ole Miss and four seasons at N.C. State. Last year, Harris recorded 13 tackles, four of which were solo tackles, for Ole Miss. 

Harris will be a part of a shifting UNC defense this season, as defensive coordinator Geoff Collins will begin his first season in the position. Expect Harris to be an experienced athlete to help the North Carolina defense find its identity.

Jakeen Harris

Graduate defensive back Jakeen Harris comes to North Carolina after playing five seasons at N.C. State. In 2020, Harris’ best season, he recorded an impressive 76 tackles — 43 of them being solo tackles — while also snagging one interception.

After being injured with a pectoral tear last season, Harris enters UNC healthy and ready to provide experience and talent to the secondary.

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com