Monday, Sept. 16, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Analysis: North Carolina's top-30 recruiting class offers depth to 2024 roster

20240420_Sharon_football-spring-game-323.jpg
UNC first-year running back Davion Gause (21) runs with the ball during the Spring Game in Kenan Stadium on Saturday, April 20, 2024.

UNC secured 2024’s largest high school recruiting class in Power 4 football with 33 commits playing for Chapel Hill this fall. Head coach Mack Brown and company grabbed all but one of their players from the south, including 11 in-state recruits.

Yet, despite the amount of signees, the Tar Heels could not secure any 5-star commitments – leading to a class ranking of 27th in the nation by On3.com and 26th overall by 247sports.com.

The recruits are a near-even split of offensive and defensive specialists, with a handful of players likely to see snaps as early as this season. 

Offensive Signees

UNC continued to bolster its pass-catching core with a trio of wide receivers each from NC high schools. Jordan Shipp, Alex Taylor, and Javarius ‘Vari’ Green were all early enrollees who have practiced with the team since the spring. 

Coming in as the only 4-star of the bunch, Shipp is likely to get some offensive snaps at wideout, supplemented with special team appearances. Coach Brown has emphasized the use of a broader rotation this season, which could present opportunities for Shipp, as well as Taylor and Green, to reach the field. 

At the running back position, Davion Gause joins a prominent North Carolina rushing attack. Nicknamed “Bullet” for his toughness and hard-hitting play-style, Gause is a physical back that can provide added pass protection in the blocking game. The South Florida native will also gain veteran expertise as he develops behind junior Omarion Hampton and graduate transfer Darwin Barlow

UNC also signed 3-star quarterback Michael Merdinger from Cardinal Gibbons in Fort Lauderdale, FL. The signal-caller will be far down the depth chart from the current QB battle, but with time, Merdinger has the potential to climb his way up as he learns the offensive system. 

Offensive line coach Randy Clements has himself a handful of new offensive tackles to protect QBs down the road. NC locals Jani Norwood and Desmond Jackson join Tennessee native Luke Mastersonas 3-star prospects to develop under Clements’ efforts and the run game coordination of coach Freddie Kitchens.

Defensive Signees

Alongside the arrival of new defensive coordinator Geoff Collins, UNC brought in 13 defensive players for him to tinker with. 4-star defensive backs Jaiden Patterson and Malcolm Ziglar are the highest-rated recruits from the group. 

Zion Ferguson, Tyrane Stewart and Khalil Conley join Patterson and Ziglar to furnish a talented DB room hoping to continue the mantra of "Rude Boyz" from the UNC defensive backs of the 90s. Behind them, Ty White and Jalon Thompson will practice alongside Ziglar to fortify the Tar Heel secondary. 

Linebacker coach Tommy Thigpen will work with a trio of 3-star linebackers as they practice behind veterans Power Echols and Amare Campbell. First-years Ashton Woods, Evan Bennett and Crews Law are all out-of-state commits added to a historically talented position group within the UNC defense. 

The final faction of defenders will add to North Carolina’s pass rush. With graduate edge rusher Kaimon Rucker and graduate defensive tackle Kevin Hester Jr. set to leave after this season, newcomers Leroy Jackson, Daniel Anderson, and Peter Pesansky will work to replenish the front four. 

Looking ahead to the 2025 class, North Carolina is off to a slower start on the recruiting trail. With 14 commits throughout the middle of August, UNC ranks 50th in college football according to 247sports.com. The Tar Heels are still yet to land a 5-star commit in the 2025 class, which would make it UNC’s third straight class without one.

@cadeshoemaker23