Saturday, Sept. 14, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC quarterback Max Johnson to miss remainder of season with broken leg

20240829-HD-UNC-Minnesota-Football-instagram-8.JPG
North Carolina Tar Heels quarterback Max Johnson (14) is taken off the field after an injury during the second half of North Carolina’s game against University of Minnesota at Huntington Bank Stadium on Thursday, Aug. 29, 2024. UNC won 19-17.

On Friday afternoon, UNC Athletics announced that graduate quarterback Max Johnson will miss the remainder of the 2024 season after suffering a broken right leg on Thursday night against Minnesota.

Johnson had a successful surgery in Minneapolis on Friday and is expected to make a full recovery. 

Following a quarterback battle during the offseason, Johnson earned the start over sophomore Conner Harrell.

In the third quarter, Johnson was blitzed by Minnesota’s Justin Walley who took him to the ground.  Prior to sustaining the injury, Johnson threw for 71 yards and one interception, while adding a rushing touchdown. 

Harrell replaced him to help push the Tar Heels to a 19-17 victory over the Gophers. Upon replacing Johnson, the sophomore threw for 34 yards. 

With UNC's matchup against Charlotte approaching, Harrell will likely be the named the starter ahead of the home opener. 

@mdmaynard74

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com