Friday, Sept. 13, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

No. 6 UNC men's soccer ties California Baptist, 0-0, despite 16 first half shots

20240825_Zinn_sports-msoc-1.jpg
UNC junior midfielder Sam Williams (7) advances the ball toward the goal during the home opener against California Baptist on Sunday, August 25, 2024. The game ended in a scoreless draw, 0-0.

The No. 6 North Carolina men’s soccer team (1-0-1, 0-0-0 ACC) tied with the California Baptist Lancers (0-0-2, 0-0-0 WAC), 0-0, in its home opener at Dorrance Field on Sunday night. 

The Tar Heels dominated the first half with sixteen shots on goal, seizing possession right from the kickoff.

In a surprising shift in their offensive performance from their last game against Alabama Birmingham, UNC’s offense led the game. As the Tar Heels continue to refine their strategy on the field, their focus has been on implementing the successful aspects of last year’s system while adjusting to the new roster. 

“We’re trying to replicate a little bit of what we had last year. Getting our wingers out wide and kinda getting the ball in, maybe opening up some space in the middle of the field," senior midfielder Andrew Czech said. 

This strategy is supported by the strong chemistry among players, especially between long-term teammates. The camaraderie and understanding on the field are crucial as the team looks to the season ahead. 

“We love UNC, the culture, the guys, so everything,” senior midfielder Juan Caffaro said. “We love that, and we try to put that effort inside the field.”

Graduate forward Martin Vician set the tone with a shot on goal in the second minute. Just 16 seconds later, junior midfielder Sam Williams played off the momentum with another shot on goal saved by California Baptist’s goalkeeper Hugo Do Rego.

Despite their efforts, California Baptist struggled to take control of the ball, as the Tar Heels kept up pressure in the penalty box.

Both junior defender Parker O’Ferral and Czech’s shots came up wide.  

California Baptist missed a chance for redemption as winger Josh Hallenberger’s ball skimmed the crossbar, fueling the Tar Heels’ momentum.

First-year forward Bertil Hansen and senior midfielder Matthew Acosta added to the Tar Heels’ shooting streak, then Caffaro’s straight shot was saved by Do Rego. 

Coming out of the half, California Baptist looked for a way to shift the momentum, but the Tar Heels quickly resumed their aggressive approach. Acosta, Vician, and senior forward Luke Hille all took shots that were ultimately saved by Do Rego. 

The match grew more and more physical as Luis Borrero of California Baptist received a yellow card in the 89th minute after a series of fouls.  

Despite a last-minute attempt by graduate forward Ahmad Al-Qaq, UNC’s shots just couldn’t find the back of the net.

The Tar Heels offense had found what they were missing in their previous game – aggression – but are looking to become more confident when in the box. 

“I think scoring goals in soccer is obviously the hardest thing to do in sports,” head coach Carlos Somoano said. 

In the final minutes, California Baptist’s defense held firm against the Tar Heels’ pressure, as the match ended in a scoreless draw. 

The Tar Heels will play their third game of the season on Thursday against Florida International University to kickoff the Carolina Nike Classic. The game is set for 7:30 PM at Dorrance Field.