Wednesday, Sept. 11, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Three takeaways from UNC men's soccer 5-0 exhibition win over Campbell

0810_Paul_mens-soccer-campbell.JPG
UNC graduate student midfielder Ahmad Al-Qaq (34) runs after the ball during the men’s soccer game against Campbell at Dorrance Field on Saturday, Aug. 10, 2024. UNC won 5-0.

After a run to the NCAA tournament quarterfinals in 2023, the UNC men’s soccer team enters 2024 ranked No. 6. With high expectations looming, here are three takeaways from North Carolina’s 5-0 win over Campbell in a preseason exhibition on Aug. 10.

Veterans return to the attack

Last season, winger Quenzi Huerman scored 10 goals for UNC, making him the leading scorer alongside graduate forward Martin Vician. Huerman also led the team in assists, notching seven during the year. 

Now, the Tar Heels will have to replace the graduate’s scoring efforts.   

To do so, North Carolina will likely turn to other veterans from last year’s team. 

Vician is back. The 6-foot-4-inch player showed off his aerial threat with the first of his two goals during the evening, leaping over Campbell’s defense in the 6-yard box for a short-distance header.

The header was courtesy of a looping cross from graduate forward Ahmad Al-Qaq. Al-Qaq scored four goals and had three assists in 2023. Al-Qaq mostly came off the bench last season but started at the exhibition, recording two assists in three minutes to open the floodgates. 

With North Carolina and Campbell tied at zero after 72 minutes, Al-Qaq cut the ball onto his right foot from just inside the left corner of the box and fired. His shot landed right in the path of senior forward Luke Hille for an easy rebound and goal. 

Less than three minutes later, Al-Qaq's cross found Vician’s head for a second goal. By the end of the 90 minutes, UNC had buried five shots in the Camels’ net. 

If play like this continues from the Tar Heels’ experienced scorers, the offense will remain intact despite Huerman’s absence. 

Finding a new right winger

With Al-Qaq and Vician on the attack, all UNC’s offense must address is Huerman’s spot on the right wing. 

Fortunately for head coach Carlos Somoano, he has a strong cast to choose from. 

A transfer from N.C. State, Hille’s seven goals in 2023 led the Wolfpack. Joining UNC’s starting line on Saturday, Hille showcased his scoring abilities with two goals.

Looking for a chance for a putback off Al-Qaq’s miss, Hille beat his defender to notch his first goal. For the second, Hille cut the ball onto his left foot, firing a quick shot from a tight angle and squeezing it in off a deflection.

The Cary native made it clear that he can be a key contributor on offense. 

Utilizing the press

“Press to win the ball, like I said,” assistant coach Michael Harrington shouted from the bench during UNC’s postgame intra-squad scrimmage.

Until Hille’s putback to break the deadlock, UNC struggled during the game to create clear-cut chances in possession. So in lieu of magic with the ball, the Tar Heels ramped up the pressure.

The Tar Heels’ best play before its five-goal flurry came when first-year forward Bertil Hansen ran from the right side of the pitch to swipe the ball from a Campbell midfielder in the Camels’ own half. Hansen’s ensuing cross found sophomore forward Daniel Lugo free in the box just behind the penalty spot.

Lugo’s header missed wide, but his shot manifested from a press that rarely allowed Campbell to advance the ball. 

During the exhibition match, 63 percent of Campbell’s possession was in its own half, while just 38 percent of UNC’s possession was in the Tar Heels’ own half.

Alongside the press, UNC maintained a high back line, catching the Camels offside six times. Although the offside trap found some success, there were several cases where a Campbell attacker beat the high line and had a clear chance on goal.

As UNC replaces two defenders in Til Zinnhardt and Matt Edwards from last year, it will bank on the backline building chemistry. But for now, the Tar Heels will press the ball to find similar success later.

@dmtwumasi

@DTHSports | sports@dailytarheel.com