Sunday, Oct. 6, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC women's soccer's late-game heroics lead to 3-2 victory over Colorado

20231008WS168.jpg
Sophomore forward/midfielder Kate Fosse (26) blocks a Duke player while running the ball in the game against the Duke Blue Devils at Koskinen Stadium, Durham, NC, on Sunday, Oct. 8, 2023.

The No. 8 North Carolina women’s soccer team (2-0-0) came back to beat Colorado (1-1-0), 3-2, on Sunday afternoon. 

The game started off slow, with neither team able to maintain offensive possession or get a good look on goal. Both teams were aggressive on defense, employing double teams and sliding tackles to keep the ball out of the box. 

North Carolina’s offense looked shaky early on, with several missed passes and only one shot on goal after 20 minutes from first-year midfielder Linda Ullmark. But the Tar Heels settled into the first half after that, limiting their missed passes and bad shots. 

UNC found an opportunity in the 27th minute after a blocked shot resulted in a Tar Heel corner. Junior defender Tessa Dellarose took the corner, which was headed to sophomore forward Olivia Thomas. Thomas grounded the ball to first-year midfielder Bella Gaetino, who netted the goal past Colorado goalkeeper Jordan Nytes. 

Colorado immediately tried to respond, getting the ball ahead to defender Ava Priest ahead of the North Carolina defense, but Priest’s shot was wide of the goal. 

The Tar Heels dominated the offensive possession in the latter part of the first half. Thomas had a good cross late in the half, but the ball deflected wide off of junior forward Kate Faasse. 

The Buffaloes came out of halftime strong, dominating possession early and getting several good looks. They got their equalizer only two minutes into the second when senior midfielder Makenna Dominguez turned the ball over to forward Shyra James, who shot it past Gagne. 

UNC was able to get several good looks on goal after the Colorado score, including a shot from senior forward Bella Sember which deflected off of the left post. But Colorado quickly regained possession. 

Colorado capitalized on their offensive dominance in the 74th minute when defender Angelina Moschetti launched a right footed shot past Gagne into the bottom right of the goal. 

As the Tar Heels were struggling to convert shots late, Thomas broke through, shooting across from the left side of the box. The ball was deflected by Nytes, but Faasse was there and slotted the ball to the back left of the goal. 

Faasse followed the tying goal with the game-winner just seconds late, and Gagne secured the win with a last minute save on the other end. 

The Tar Heels will play again against Georgia at Dorrance field for their first official home game on August 22 at 5 p.m. 

@BeckettBrant

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com