Thursday, Sept. 12, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

No. 5 UNC women's soccer defeats No. 16 Georgia, 4-3, to earn first home win of season

20240822_Thiessen_WSoccer-383.jpg
UNC junior forward Kate Faase (13) celebrates her goal with sophomore forward Olivia Thomas (33) during UNC's game against Georgia on Aug. 22, 2024 at Dorrance Field.

The No. 5 North Carolina women’s soccer team (3-0) defeated No. 16 Georgia (0-0-1), 4-3, on Thursday evening at Dorrance Field to earn the first home win of the season. The Tar Heels were led by sophomore forward Olivia Thomas who scored two goals on seven shots.

UNC dominated play in the opening 20 minutes of play. The Tar Heels won 61 percent of the possession in the first half, with buildup often spilling into the attacking third. Thomas was the focal point of UNC’s attack when she fired a trio of shots on goal in the early moments. 

A stout defense held Georgia to zero shots on goal in the first half, while North Carolina continued to apply pressure via its high press and long periods of possessions that ground down the Bulldog defense.  

UNC’s patience came to fruition in the 35th minute. A looping cross from senior midfielder Makenna Dominguez settled right in front of junior forward Kate Faase at the edge of the box. With a calm finish in the bottom corner of the net, Faase tallied her third goal in as many games. 

North Carolina rode the one-goal lead into the halftime break. 

The second half provided Georgia a breath of life from UNC’s suffocating defense. Immediately following a UGA save, the Bulldogs initiated a fast break that caught North Carolina’s back line on its heels.

“You take a little bit of a casual moment, and all of a sudden a really good forward makes you pay,” interim head coach Damon Nahas said.

Georgia forward Margie Detrizio outpaced the Tar Heel defense, before dribbling past goalkeeper Clare Gagne and simply passing the ball into the net. The goal leveled the scoring at 1-1 and opened a floodgate of scoring in the following 20 minutes. 

First, it was Thomas who found the back of the net twice in a span of three minutes. Stationed near the penalty spot, the 5-foot-10 forward used her strength to receive, turn and fire a shot into the goal with a move that resembled a basketball post-up. 

“My coaches have been telling me a lot about being patient and waiting for it to develop and happen,” Thomas said. “So, I think that’s what helped today, I was just more composed with myself.”

Moments later, a through ball led Thomas to the top left corner of the box where she ripped a curling shot into the side netting. Not to be outdone, Georgia responded 62 seconds after Thomas scored her brace. 

Dancing around UNC’s 18-yard box, forward Hannah White found just enough space to fire a shot past Gagne and pull the Bulldogs back within one.

But the scoring flurry wasn’t over just yet. North Carolina netted its final goal from a free kick by Bella Gaetino. The first-year midfielder drilled her shot under Georgia’s wall as it took a deflection and skipped passed the diving UGA goalkeeper. 

“They clearly don’t know that we can fight back,” first-year midfielder Linda Ullmar said. “They tried, but it was a really good fight.”

North Carolina’s final blow was enough to knock out the Bulldogs — despite a last-minute goal by UGA. 

UNC claimed its first home victory of the season to start a four-game home stretch. The Tar Heels will be back at Dorrance Field on Sunday with their next match slated at noon against Arizona.

​​@cadeshoemaker23