Saturday, Sept. 14, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC women's soccer defeats North Dakota with 3-0 victory

0829_Patterson_Halftime_Datota_Selects2jpg.jpg

UNC freshman Linda Ullmark (7) kicks the ball during the women's soccer game against North Dakota at Dorrance Field on Thursday, Aug. 29, 2024.

The No. 5 North Carolina women’s soccer (5-0) team remains undefeated after beating North Dakota (2-1-2), 3-0, on Thursday afternoon.

Despite 90 degree temperatures, the Tar Heels dominated from the first whistle, overwhelming the Fighting Hawks in the offensive zone and forcing seven corner kicks in the first half. 

“A lot of times we’re going to have to deal with that where they have a lot of numbers behind the ball,” head coach Damon Nahas said. “So it poses some different challenges for our team.”

North Carolina put up several long shots early, but its first good opportunity came from junior midfielder Emerson Elgin, whose mid range shot soared over North Dakota goaltender Grace Miller and hit the crossbar.  

But UNC continued digging, and found the back of the net in the 16th minute. Graduate midfielder Aria Nagai took a North Carolina corner high, which was grounded in the North Dakota box. Junior forward Kate Faasse then got the ball up to first-year defender Bella Gaetino, who shot it up and off the hands of Miller into the net. 

“I learned a lot today,” Gaetino said. “I’m excited to continue expanding my game not only in that position but just as an entire player.”

The Tar Heels were unable to extend the lead in the first, but they didn’t let up on offense, limiting North Dakota to 16 percent possession and zero shots at the half. Gaetino and Elgin continued to be a dynamic duo, combining for 10 shots in the first and putting pressure on the Fighting Hawks defense. 

North Dakota put its best defensive foot forward in the second half, forcing UNC back into midfield, but the team was unable to maintain possession for long. 

“Obviously they had all 11 behind the ball,” junior defender Tessa Dellarose said. “So, for us it was just about being patient and breaking them down any way that we can.”

Sophomore forward Olivia Thomas had a good opportunity in the 54th minute when Miller came out of the goal to try and collect a corner, but Thomas’ short shot was blocked. 

UNC extended its lead midway through the second after the team was awarded a penalty kick. Senior midfielder Bella Sember took the penalty off the right foot, slotting it past Miller into the bottom left corner. 

Ten minutes later, the Tar Heels sealed the game with a third goal. Junior defender Tessa Dellarose crossed right through the air to Faasse, who headed the ball off the right post and into the goal. 

UNC never relented, finishing the game with 13 shots on goal to North Dakota’s zero. 

North Carolina will look to finish out its homestand strong when it takes on Seton Hall at 1 p.m. on Sunday. 

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com