Saturday, Sept. 14, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Olivia Thomas propels UNC women's soccer to 4-3 win over Georgia

20240822_Thiessen_WSoccer-216.jpg

UNC sophomore forward OIivia Thomas (33) receives the ball during the women's soccer game against Georgia on Aug. 22, 2024 at Dorrance Field. UNC won 4-3.

Sophomore forward Olivia Thomas is a game changer. 

But it hasn’t always been that way.

Thomas’ first year at North Carolina was less than ideal — she played 10 games before injuring her hamstring against Alabama in September of 2023. Unable to play for the rest of the season, Thomas finished with only one goal. 

That’s why the forward’s two goals against Georgia on Thursday night were so special. Not only did it mark her long-awaited return to the team's lineup, but Thomas' efforts secured UNC a 4-3 win at Dorrance Field in its first home game of the season.

Interim head coach Damon Nahas worked with Thomas in the offseason on maintaining her cool when she gets in tough offensive situations, and he credited that aspect of her development in her performance against Georgia. 

“She's so physically aggressive that sometimes it goes against her, and when she has a better feeling about herself, like she’s relaxed, she actually is faster and stronger,” Nahas said. “Today, you felt a little bit of the calm and the decision-making was better.”

But don’t mistake Thomas’ calm on the field for apprehension. She has been assertive in the attacking third, notching more shots on goal than any other Tar Heel this season. After recording her first career assist against Colorado, Thomas is tied for first in points

So, when Georgia tied the game, 1-1, in the second half, Thomas maintained her calm, but also her urgency. She scored two goals in quick succession, restoring UNC’s confidence against a resilient Georgia team. 

“I’m just always looking to get in, that’s my goal,” Thomas said. “So I take as many shots as I can if the opportunity presents itself.”

While this is Nahas’ first season serving as the head coach, he has worked with the women’s soccer team since 2015. His work with Thomas as an assistant coach was integral in the young forward’s progress, and his interim position is motivation for her this season. 

“Obviously our whole team loves Damon, and we really want him to be our coach next season,” Thomas said. “So I think this season is really all of us playing for him to prove how amazing of a coach he is.” 

Throughout their work together during the offseason, Nahas had one goal for Thomas: make her less predictable on offense. 

And while Thomas might not want to be predictable against UNC's opponents, she is well on her way to being what the Tar Heels need in a season marked by change: reliable. 

The forward has started all three games for North Carolina, and has proven that she is a reliable target for the midfield, especially on long passes. She excelled at creating separation against Georgia, leading several breakaway opportunities for UNC. 

While Thomas has certainly maximized her opportunities on the field this season, she has also established herself as a leader on the team. Though it’s only her second year at North Carolina, Thomas has become a role model for the younger players on the team, such as first-year midfielder Linda Ullmark

“I look up to Liv a lot, honestly, as a freshman, and it's great that she can use her leadership on the field as well,” Ullmark said.

As North Carolina gets deeper into its season, Thomas will look to anchor the offense and continue the team’s success. But as far as Nahas is concerned, Thomas has already made her mark. 

“All summer long, into this preseason, she has been absolutely wonderful,” Nahas said. “So to see her face and to see her celebrate, she's earned that joy. I’m just really proud of her.” 

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com