Thursday, Sept. 12, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Students attend 2024 FallFest indoors due to inclement weather

08202023_Crochik_fallfest-03.jpg

Students attend Fall Fest on campus on Sunday, August 20th, 2023.

Thousands of students gathered around the Student Union on Sunday — some waiting to pot small plants, others lining up at food trucks or jumping to catch frisbees flying in front of the building — all participating in UNC's annual FallFest

Since 1995, FallFest has allowed students to see old friends and learn about what UNC has to offer. The event, which was held after new student convocation this year and is hosted by Carolina Union, also serves as a way for student organizations to gain exposure on campus. 

UNC senior Madeline Nguyen said this year was her third FallFest. Nguyen said that it is "always a blast" coming to the event and meeting new students who want to be there.

Nguyen is a member of the Loreleis, a campus a cappella group. 

Sophomore Gabby DeMarco said she originally discovered the Loreleis at last year's FallFest. Now, DeMarco said joining the group was the best decision she could have made. 

This year, DeMarco and Nguyen advertised the Loreleis at FallFest to recruit new members.

“It’s fun to meet people and go up and say ‘Do you sing?’” DeMarco said.

While some organizations remained outdoors, 2024's FallFest was hosted partially inside the Student Union due to chances of rain. UNC sophomore Katie Duhaime said they felt the event was more condensed due to the partial location change.

Students began arriving at the Union around 6:15 p.m. UNC sophomore Surafele Sintayehu said FallFest’s later timing allowed for less heat, which he preferred. 

Sintayehu also said he saw a higher police presence than he noticed last year.

"I saw a full sized van that said Chapel Hill police. I don't know if it's for better security or anything, but it's just a little different,” he said

Once inside the Union, students could scan a QR code directing them to an online map showing different activities within the building. 

Some attendees went to the Great Hall for music, dancing and caricature artists. Others received free cups and tote bags from tables in the Union halls.

Lines extended out the door as many students moved throughout the building, even filling the Union's main staircase. FallFest workers controlled traffic to improve the organization of the event by directing students to specific exits. 

Although the event was scheduled to end at 10 p.m., Carolina Union announced an early conclusion to FallFest at around 9 p.m. due to thunderstorms. Despite the early ending, many students were still able to enjoy the night.

Duhaime said FallFest allowed students to see everybody prior to classes and set the tone for the upcoming academic year. 

“I feel like only one time a year people pull out in such swarms, to where you can just see how many people do go to UNC,” Duhaime said.

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com