Monday, Sept. 16, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

'It's definitely been a journey': UNC students address move-in process

20240818_McKee_university-move-in-process-104.jpg
Members of The Union of Black Men at UNC assist with freshman move-in at Hinton James Residence Hall on Saturday, August 17, 2024. Members volunteered from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday through Saturday.

Armed with hammers for lofting beds, mattress toppers and carts in hand, students began moving onto campus last Wednesday, marking the beginning of the annual five-day move-in period at UNC. 

Carolina Housing and the Department of Transportation and Parking at the University organize the logistics of 1,500 move-in appointments on each of the five days. 

Executive Director for Carolina Housing, Allan Blattner, described the move-in process as “coordinated chaos.” 

According to Blattner, Carolina Housing accommodated students on the housing waitlist and reached out to students who canceled their allocations. He said 70 dorm rooms are still available.

For first-year students like Luka Skinner, this year marks their first time living in a dorm with roommates. Skinner, who lives in Craige Residence Hall, said he would miss his hometown of Missoula, Montana .

“Everybody I've talked to has been from North Carolina, and so far everybody has a person from their town, or a couple [of] people from their high school or even an entire friend group that's moved over here,” he said.

According to Avery Cook, UNC's Counseling and Psychological Services director, students may suffer from homesickness and adjustment but may benefit from self-care, socialization, campus and community involvement and utilizing support resources such as therapy. CAPS also encourages incoming students to attend Weeks of Welcome events. 

Lillian Hanks transferred to UNC for her junior year. Hanks, who is a wheelchair user, said she found the move-in process to be slightly more challenging.

“Having a disability like I do, it's definitely been a journey getting everything in my room set up,” she said. “So it's been a very gradual process of moving everything in tote by tote, and then unpacking everything and finding a place for it.”

Ashton Hutchinson, junior and president of the Union of Black Men at UNC, said moving can be one of the most stressful times of a student’s college career. Hutchinson said that when he was moving in for his first year at UNC he only had his mother to help him with the process. 

His experience inspired the UBM to organize annual “UBMovin” events, where members of the organization served snacks and drinks, helped students and their families relocate belongings to their rooms and lofted beds. 

This year, the event was organized at Hinton James Residence Hall. Christopher Williams, chief of staff for UBM, said that the purpose behind the event was to be a good neighbor and welcome all Tar Heels to campus and the greater UNC community.

“We want to make sure to provide that avenue that allows people to feel welcome, because where you live, that's the foundation — the people you are with, that's the foundation for you to have a strong, successful year or years in college,” Williams said.

@keerthanagotur

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com