Thursday, Sept. 12, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC Weeks of Welcome share Carolina community with new students

20240816_Thiessen_WeeksOfWelcome-76-Edit.jpg

DTH Photo Illustration: First-years check in during the UNC Weeks of Welcome Professor Meet and Greet at Davis Library on Aug. 16, 2024.

As summer ends and students flock back to campus, the UNC Weeks of Welcome Board has planned two weeks’ worth of new student activities.

“Our main goal is just to connect people, to get them comfortable with the Carolina community,” UNC junior and WOW board member Croft McLean said.

The WOW Board is a part of the University's New Students & Family Programs office. McLean said WOW events are intended to familiarize first-year and transfer students with the University's campus and community.  Many events offer food ,  UNC merchandise and prizes. 

McLean said that the board, composed of University students and faculty, has been planning this year's lineup since the 2024 spring semester. Upcoming events include a “Dive-In Movie” on Aug. 20, “The Price is Right!” game night on Aug. 28, and a new “Rock the Hill"concert featuring local bands on Aug. 24. 

Students can view WOW scheduling on Heel Life and on the organization's Instagram account. Events run from Friday, Aug. 16 to Friday, Aug. 30.

“There's not one way to go through college, and there's not one way to start off your first couple of weeks,” McLean said

He said the board reaches out to local companies and restaurants who sponsor and cater events and partners with on-campus organizations. Sophomore Megan Buchsbaum, a frequent attendee of WOW programming last fall, said the events helped her get her bearings around campus.

“Getting to know what other people are up to and more about UNC is always a great way to spend your time,” Buchsbaum said.

She said participating in everything she possibly could—competing in games and racing through different events gathering UNC gear—was a great way to meet people and bond with her suitemates.

WOW additionally hosts kickoffs geared towards specific student demographics, including out-of-state students, transfer students and students of various cultural backgrounds. These events are open to everyone but tailored to select new student groups to provide them with resources they may need. 

In order to get students ready for the impending first day of classes, the WOW Board hosted a “Professor Meet and Greet” on Friday, Aug. 16, intending to orient first-year students with educators in each department.

WOW Board member and senior Hannah Peterkin attended WOW programming last year as a transfer student and said the events helped take some of the edge off her transition to a larger university. Now, she works on the board to give other transfer students the same chance to assimilate and meet their peers. 

“I really want them to take away that we're a community,” Peterkin said. “We’re a family. We want you to feel at home because for the next nine months, this is going to be your home.”

@mariaesullivan

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com