Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Hundreds of pro-Palestinian protestors hold walkout, spray paint University buildings

20240919-Diehl-sjp-protest-1.JPG
A pro-Palestine protester vandalizes the ROTC building on Sept. 19.

At least 200 students and staff participated in a pro-Palestinian walkout on Thursday, led by UNC Students for Justice in Palestine.

The 'Walk out for the West Bank' began at 12:40 p.m., and protesters began walking in and out of various UNC buildings starting at 12:52 p.m.

Demonstrators hung papers outlining their demands throughout buildings, spray painting messages like "Free Gaza," "Fuck UNC" and "Israel is a terror state" on the walls of Carroll Hall and other buildings as they walked.  

There were several speeches demanding that the University reject Israel and the brutalization of students. Protesters chanted phrases like "disclose, divest, we will not stop, we will not rest," as they walked through Halls including Gardner, Murphey, Carolina, Hanes, Carroll, Chapman, Phillips, Peabody and Sitterson.

They also walked outside of the UNC NROTC Naval Armory, vandalizing the outside of the building with spray paint and draping a Palestinian flag from the gun turret. The American flag that waves outside of the building was also taken down by protesters around 1:48 p.m. 

20240919_Thiessen_Protests-35.jpg
Pro-Palestine protesters hold the Palestinian flag in the shadow of the American flag during a protest in front of the UNC Armory on Sept. 19, 2024.

UNC Police arrived at Carroll Hall around 1:30 p.m., and the American flag was put back in place by 2:24 p.m. Police were already present on campus due to the emergency preparedness event happening around the same time. 

UNC Media Relations said they have not seen or heard about anyone being detained. In an Alert Carolina email sent out to the University community at 4:01 p.m., students, faculty and staff were asked to contact UNC police if they had any information about the incident. 

Some SJP members got into a physical altercation with counter protesters who were also present at the event. One SJP member said that their phone was taken by a counter protester, and thrown into the street. 

"We demand Chapel Hill, and all universities across the U.S. to cut any and all ties with Israel," one student said during a speech before the crowd dispersed around 1:57 p.m. 

One member of SJP said walking through buildings was planned — the point was to cause disruption and be loud — but spray painting inside of buildings was unplanned. 

"Discussions are currently taking place to debrief the unexpected autonomous actions that took place today." the SJP member said in a follow up statement to The DTH.

SJP's demands include UNC boycotting corporations and programs supporting Israel, including study abroad programs, and for the University to disclose and divest. 

20240919-Diehl-Palestine-Protest-5.JPG
A counter protester with a sign that reads "Jesus Saves" and a speaker playing music passes in front of several hundred pro-Palestine protesters on campus on Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024.
20240919_richards_buildings-protest-568.jpg
Protestors emerge from a classroom building on Sept. 19, 2024.
20240919-Diehl-sjp-protest-2.JPG
Pro-Palestine protesters exit Carolina Hall during a protest around campus on Sept. 19.
20240919_Soukthavone_university-propalestine-protest
Pro-Palestine protesters shout chants throughout Carroll Hall during UNC-Chapel Hill's Students for Justice in Palestine walk outfor the West Bank on Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024.
Pro-Palestine protesters stand in front of the ROTC Armory during UNC-Chapel Hill's Students for Justice in Palestine walk out for the West Bank on Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024.
20240919_McKee_pro-palestine-protest-0919-129.jpg
A woman walks away with the USA flag after Pro-Palestinian protestors replaced it with the Flag of Palestine at The Naval ROTC Armory on Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024.
20240919_richards_buildings-protest-716.jpg
People scuffle after a bystander tries to rip away a Palestinian flag in front of the UNC ROTC building on Sept. 19, 2024.
20240919_Thiessen_Protests-56.jpg
The Palestinian flag is sent up the flagpole, replacing the American flag during protests supporting Palestine in front of the UNC Armory on Sep. 19, 2024.

Assistant University Editor Daneen Khan and University senior writer Akash Bhowmik contributed to reporting of this article. 

This is a developing story. Check back here for updates.