Monday, Sept. 16, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Review: A guide to tackling Chapel Hill and Carrboro's cafe scene

lifestyle-cafe-crawl-triangle-area.png

At any given cafe in the Chapel Hill and Carrboro area, there are always students drinking severe amounts of caffeine and staring intently at their laptops. Do they go to the same cafe every time? Do they even know what else is out there?

I consider myself a bit of a coffee connoisseur, and though I’ve lived in Chapel Hill for over a year, I have barely scratched the surface of the local cafe scene. 

In order to better educate myself and others, I visited five cafes in one day, taking note of coffee quality, cafe atmosphere and other details vital to what constitutes a truly great coffee shop. 

The first stop on my journey was Caffe Driade. This cafe had beautiful scenery and good coffee, but the earthy atmosphere of the cafe took my full attention. 

Caffe Driade is located off of East Franklin Street, tucked down a gravel path. Tables are spread all around the venue, settled under the shade of surrounding oak trees. This peaceful setting is the perfect place for a chill study session. 

I ordered a cappuccino and sat outside, the cool shade a perfect match for my warm drink. The excellence of my espresso and the serenity of Caffe Driade gave me the focus I needed to finish up some assignments before moving on to another cafe.  

My next stop was Joe Van Gogh. It was a bit further away from my other stops, but my Chapel Hill-native roommate swore by it. She recommended their lavender syrup, so I ordered an iced cold brew with lavender. 

To my dismay, the coffee was nothing special. I noticed the cold brew was a very light color, which showed the coffee’s weakness. 

The shop itself had a nice vibe and cute decor, but their coffee was a bit disappointing. I would personally not venture out to Joe Van Gogh again, but perhaps I ordered the wrong thing.

I knew I needed to head somewhere familiar next, so I headed to 1922 on Franklin Street, an extension of Carolina Coffee Shop

There I ordered a pumpkin spice latte and a chocolate croissant to celebrate the small burst of fall weather I felt that morning. Both were great, as expected. 

1922 never misses. Their coffee and pastries are a bit pricier than I would like, but the cafe’s proximity to campus makes up for it. 

The only downside of 1922 is that it is almost always packed, and you almost always see someone you know. It is nearly impossible to go incognito there. 

After visiting three cafes, I was severely caffeinated and called on my roommate Sofia Nyiri to help me out. Together, we took on Gray Squirrel Coffee in Carrboro. 

There, I tried a maple latte and a molasses cookie. The latte was good, but the cookie was the best part of my purchase. Molasses cookies were a staple in my house growing up, so I can say this was one of the best I’ve ever had. 

This was my first time at Gray Squirrel, but I know I will be back soon. Their cafe had a variety of indoor and outdoor seating options, with great music playing in the background. I think this coffee shop is a great place to chat and hang out with friends. 

As the end of my coffee exploration drew to a close, I had to visit my favorite cafe in the area: Lanza’s. Located in Carrboro, Lanza’s Cafe serves the best lavender latte I have ever tasted. 

Upon arriving, I ordered my usual iced lavender latte with oat milk. David Bowie’s "Moonage Daydream" played in the background as I ordered, and my roommate and I chatted with some classmates we saw inside. The atmosphere was lovely, as always. 

Compared to my lavender coffee at Joe Van Gogh, Lanza's was far better. The espresso was strong, the lavender was sweet and it was much more enjoyable to drink. 

I have spent many hours in Lanza’s over the past year. Its coffee has seen my struggles with music theory and my frustration with Homer’s "Iliad." I can always count on this cafe to provide me with comfort and caffeine. 

Even though Lanza’s is my favorite cafe in the Chapel Hill and Carrboro area, I believe all of these coffee shops provide something special. Each has their own unique menu and ambiance, and I think anyone can find something enjoyable about any cafe I visited. 

So, if you ever find yourself tired of the same old coffee routine, don't be afraid to go in a new direction. 

@mollierayy

@dthlifestyle | lifestyle@dailytarheel.com