Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Carolina Veterans Resource Center helps veterans transition to college

20240909_Zinn_lifestyle-carolina-resource-center-veterans-dog-3.jpg
UNC-CH senior and U.S. Air Force veteran Caitlin Russell poses with her dog, Lumen, at the Carolina Veterans Resource Center in Chapel Hill on Monday, Sept. 9, 2024.

The Carolina Veterans Resource Center  is the designated hub for veterans, active duty members and all military-connected students at UNC. The center connects them with University resources to help them start their college experience. 

Veteran students have a specific background through their military training and are usually older than their undergraduate peers, Rob Palermo, program director for the CVRC, said. The center is designed to ease veterans’ transition, which is something he noticed was needed after he completed his service and went to college. 

“As soon as they set foot on campus, basically they’re already starting to build a support structure, and we try to carry that throughout their time,” Palermo said.

Community building is a big focus for the CVRC, Palermo said.  For example, the week prior to the first week of classes, the CVRC hosts the “Boot Print to Heel Print” program, which is a supplemental orientation program that connects military-affiliated students with the leadership of University organizations, as well as CVRC leaders. 

Throughout the year, the center also hosts a biweekly Taco Tuesday. 

Lindsey Hyde, who worked in the Marine Corps for four years and is a CVRC work-study student, said these events are meant to allow students to relax and network. 

“We’ve had an academic advisor come down to help people. Or, we’ve had Velma from the Registrar’s office come down,” Hyde said. “Anything that could be of use to us — on a smaller scale to get help — but also to have community, be it eating a meal or hanging out,”.

When not hosting an event, the center's space has seating and couches which are open to military-affiliated students to use for studying or just hanging out, Roberto Escobar, a Marine Corps veteran and a recent UNC graduate, said.

One particular draw, Palermo said, is the current canine staffer, Lumen. She's not technically a service dog, but people still come in to see her. 

20240909_Zinn_lifestyle-carolina-resource-center-veterans-dog-2.jpg
Lumen, the "mascot" of the Carolina Veterans Resource Center in Chapel Hill is pictured on Monday, Sept. 9, 2024.

“People come in because they need some stress relief,” Palermo said. “They want to see this bundle of happiness that Lumen always is if they're having a bad day, or even just to start their day off in a nice way.”

Lumen’s owner, Caitlin Russell, is both the social media manager for the CVRC and the Vice President for the Carolina Student Veterans of America

“A lot of people come to see Lumen, and they'll be like, ‘Oh, she's not here today,’ and they'll be super sad,” Russell said. “So she really is, for a lot of people, a way to relax. She’s almost like a therapy dog.”

While the CVRC is primarily for veterans and other military-associated students, they hold events to engage with the entire student body.

In November, the center celebrates Veterans Week, where they will have different events such as coffee with a veteran, expert panels and guest speakers, all open to the public. 

Each year they focus on a different theme, and this year will be traumatic brain injury and hearing loss, Palermo said. The CVRC is currently working with an audiology team to provide a hearing clinic for that week.  

While many military-affiliated students find comfort in being around people with similar experiences, Escobar also mentioned how important it is to him to be integrated with the general student body.

“We want to do the same things you guys do,” Escobar said. “We want to go to football games, we want to go to basketball games, we want to live the college experience, and part of that experience is to talk with other students.”

@dthlifestyle | lifestyle@dailytarheel.com

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Football Preview Edition