Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

‘Critical diverse voices’: Performance studies faculty reflect on DEI defunding

20240917_Soukthavone_lifestyle-dei-lisa-calvente
Assistant Professor Lisa Calvente stands under the Old Well on Monday, Sept. 16, 2024. Calvente's areas of research primary focus on Black Studies, Performance Studies and Cultural Studies.

Recent Diversity, Equity and Inclusion funding cuts at UNC have affected the lives of students and faculty since the repeal of UNC System DEI policies this May. 

However, Assistant Professor in Performance Studies Lisa Calvente said the dismantling of DEI is not going to stop the work she does.

It is Calvente’s fourth year at the University, and her work centers on racism in colonialism, the black diaspora, and critical race theory in areas of performance and cultural studies. Calvente teaches a cultural diversity class that grapples with relations of power and communication on multiple levels, including gender, sexuality, class and race. 

Josh Richardson, who studies communications, took a class with Calvente. He said that the intentional exposure to DEI concepts has shown him the importance of other perspectives and histories he had not been educated on previously. 

“Some of the material was not emotionally easy to learn, but it was important to understand so that I was aware of the history of things, such as systemic racism, so that it was not reproduced,” Richardson said.

Not only are Calvente’s courses centered around diversity, but she is also involved in the Student Learning to Advance Truth and Equity program under the Sonja Haynes Stone Center for Research in Black Culture and History. This program aims to help undergraduate students think about racial inequities and their implications across disciplines. 

Calvente has worked with SLATE since her first semester at UNC, both teaching and researching. 

With her involvement in programs like SLATE and course curriculum, Calvente is very connected to the consequences of DEI defunding and will continue to focus on promoting diversity on campus despite these consequences. 

“What I’m doing is really centering on the complexities of history, and those power relations that come from those complexities of history, and that includes inequity,” Calvente said

However, she is concerned about where her students might be able to find safe spaces to learn more about DEI at UNC. 

DEI programs used to provide grants for those spaces, amongst other things. As the program suffered cuts, these grants also faltered.  

Calvente said that her own work has benefitted from these grants, as they are a part of the DEI standards under which she was hired. Specifically, she was hired in a department spread cluster, aimed to improve academic integrity through diversity. 

Calvente said that she makes sure to emphasize this aspect of her career because she believes that proactively hiring diverse voices improves the search for knowledge and a critical understanding of the world. 

“You only do that with critical diverse voices that take the history that we have,” Calvente said

She received a DEI grant, the Moore Undergraduate Research Apprentice Program, to conduct her research here at the University. 

Other professors at UNC have also struggled. Joseph Megel, a professor in the Department of Communication, said that faculty members have felt betrayed by the University. 

“There’s a sense that we are going down a different type of road, which is not as positive,” Megel said. “Retention will be a problem, especially with faculty of color. We’ve seen people leave, very talented people, leave the University.” 

Though losing something very fundamental and positive for the University, Megel said that the arts will continue to uphold the values of DEI, as artists have always been intrinsically involved in promoting diverse voices and perspectives.

“All artists from every stripe have always been a part of the process and will continue to be," Megel said. "Nothing will change about that." 

Similar to Megel, Calvente said that the dismantling of DEI lets her know that her work is significant, particularly because it points to resources and social justice advocates that existed before the institution of DEI policies. 

This cycle underlines an ongoing systemic problem, but Calvente believes people will continue to do the work to rebuild DEI policies, she said.

“Pointing to the complexities of history is not a political agenda, unless that political agenda is the production of knowledge,” Calvente said. “We are all supposed to be invested in that.”

@dthlifestyle | lifestyle@dailytarheel.com