Friday, Sept. 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Herbie Hancock live from the Carolina Performing Arts Center

20240924_Kirkpatrick_lifestyle-herbie-hancock-cpa_6.jpg
Herbie Hancock and his band perform at Memoral Hall on Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024.

On Tuesday, jazz pianist Herbie Hancock performed at the Carolina Performing Arts Center, signaling the start of the center’s 20th anniversary season. 

Carolina Performing Arts director of programming Amy Russell said that Hancock’s iconic career was a great start to the season. 

“It was great to kick [the season] off with a hugely impactful artist who has meant so much to so many people for such a long time,” Russell said. 

This season, Russell’s goal was to deeply listen to UNC community members, then go out and do the same deep listening with artists, producers and other curators.

She then invites artists from outside of the community to come to the Carolina Performing Arts Center and have conversations and explore ideas with UNC through performances and other events. 

After a brief introduction and toast by executive and artistic director Alison Friedman and board chair Renee Grisham, Hancock took the stage.

Hancock is known for his incorporation of synthesizers and funk into jazz music. He and his band consisting of Terence Blanchard on trumpet, James Genus on bass, Lionel Loueke on guitar and Jaden Petinaud on drums brought artistry to the stage. 

Hancock welcomed the audience, then opened with his tune "Overture." He warned that the song “might get a little bit weird,” producing laughter in the audience.

“Overture” is a thirty minute long song, featuring a solo from each musician in the band and showcasing Hancock’s creativity. 

Though this was a very long song, Hancock and his band kept the audience engaged, allowing for applause and cheering throughout the tune. 

Audience member Sam Davis, a sophomore studying political science and psychology, said that as he was walking away from the performance, he knew he had just witnessed something one-of-a-kind. 

“I may not get another chance in my lifetime to see something as amazing as that,” Davis said, “I felt like I got a piece of something incredible and seeing it up close was pretty awesome.”

Though 84 years old, Hancock was extraordinarily lively. He played his piano vigorously, and joked around with his bandmates. 

Midway through, Hancock’s performance took a more serious turn. He began a monologue about the COVID-19 pandemic, and how his experiences during the pandemic taught him that people should come together, not separate themselves. 

Along with Hancock’s moving contributions to the show, bassist James Genus played an arrangement that lulled the previously enthusiastic audience.

Hancock closed the performance with his song "Chameleonfrom his hit record Head Hunters. This tune featured Hancock on his keytar, a combination of keyboard and guitar.   

Ezra Heinberg, a sophomore studying computer science and music, said that as someone who plays piano, he thought Hancock’s performance was inspirational. 

“It was inspiring, the way Herbie Hancock can literally have an idea mid performance, go that way and expand on that idea, and the whole band that he’s playing with can kinda catch onto that,” Heinberg said. 

Hancock’s eclectic style of jazz represents the mission of Carolina Performing Arts to spark curiosity, inspire community members and engage with the world. 

Carolina Performing Arts provides the opportunity for students to learn and experience different forms of artistic expressions. 

The 20th anniversary season will continue through May. More information about upcoming shows and events can be found on their website.