Monday, Sept. 16, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Student-run project seeks to educate about LGBTQ+ history

lifestyle-lgbt-history-project.png
Photos courtesy of Adobe Stock.

Jenna Smith, a senior at Duke University, was in high school when the COVID-19 pandemic hit. During that time, she set out to learn more about queer history, so she created The LGBT History Project. Founded in 2020, the Instagram account aims to educate users about the diverse history of LGBTQ+ communities. 

“I noticed that a lot of the content I was seeing really centered a particular narrative that was very cis-white male, and then it was usually New York or San Francisco, which is pretty limited in geographical scope as well,” Smith said. “And that just didn’t really seem to encompass the diversity of queer community that I knew to be true and that I felt like represented myself.”

The account currently has over a dozen Instagram posts covering a wide variety of LGBTQ+ history, from the anti-AIDS Act Up movement in the 1980s to the history of asexual and aromantic people in digital spaces in the early 2000s.

Reggie Blue, a sophomore at UNC, writes infographics for the project and works on the graphic design team. He learned about the project from flyers in the Campus Y and thought it would be a good way to help spread accurate information about queer history, something he felt he lacked access to as a teenager.

“I wanted to be involved because, as a teenager, I was not really familiar with a lot of resources for LGBT people, and I remember, especially during the pandemic, seeing a lot of low-quality discourse caused by low-quality information,” he said.

Blue said that he utilizes a variety of research methods, including searching the internet and going to the Durham County Library to look for different ways LGBTQ+ people have made their presence known throughout history.

“For the asexual and aromantic piece, it was all from really niche internet forums because that’s where those communities tend to be,” he said.

Nina Scott is a recent UNC graduate who works as a graphic designer and writer for the project. In July, she made a post on the history of LGBTQ+ nightlife in the Triangle, including the Tempo Room, which was a nightclub founded in 1956 on Franklin Street where Goodfellows is currently located. 

The Tempo Room served as a gathering place for LGBTQ+ patrons in the 1960s and 70s when other Chapel Hill bars were less tolerant. For instance, in 1975, the Carolina Gay Association distributed leaflets to urge others to boycott He’s Not Here for not allowing a gay couple to dance together. 

“A lot of gay history and organizing started off in bars and nightlife because that was the safest place for them to go,” Scott said.

Smith said that she is currently assessing other ways to reach more people interested in LGBTQ+ history, including creating a website and doing in-person events.

Scott also said that they might start selling merchandise to help fund the project.

Smith said that making information about LGBTQ+ history easily accessible is particularly important now because of recent legislation, such as N.C. Senate Bill 49, which prohibits instruction on gender identity and sexuality in kindergarten through fourth grade. 

Even before the recent restrictions, the project’s members feel that there was not enough education about LGBTQ+ history in schools, and view the project as a way to combat that. 

“A lot of people like myself don't have access to queer history in schools, but in their free time, they might stumble across our page and learn something, and hopefully their knowledge will grow on the matter,” Scott said. “In the future, I really hope that we can have some sort of online community where more and more people are getting together to learn.”

Smith said that one goal of the project is to show the many ways that queer people have always been a part of history.

“Queer history is just history; it's literally just history,” she said. “So it's something that people should have a degree of familiarity with, regardless of their gender identity and sexual orientation. It's American history, it's world history. So just making sure people have access to it is important regardless.”

The LGBT History Project can be found on Instagram at @thelgbthistoryproject.

@dthlifestyle | lifestyle@dailytarheel.com