Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

80s power pop group, The dB's, reunite at Hopscotch for their 1981 album re-release

dbs-hopscotch-music-festival-8.jpg
The dB’s, an alternative rock and indie band that originated in Winston-Salem, N.C., played at Hopscotch Music Festival in Raleigh, N.C. on Sept. 7, 2024. The band includes bassist Gene Holder, drummer Will Rigby, and Peter Holsapple and Chris Stamey, who are both singers, songwriters, and guitarists.

On Saturday, The dB's performed at Hopscotch Music Festival, celebrating the rerelease of their 1981 album, “Stands for deciBels.”

The dB's are a power pop group that formed in New York City in the late '70s. All four original members are from North Carolina, which was uncommon in the power-pop scene when the group gained notoriety in the 1980s. 

Drummer Will Rigby said that people have been spelling the dB's name wrong from the very beginning, hence the name of their re-release, with strong emphasis placed on the lowercase “d” and uppercase “B.”

The band drew inspiration from their childhood record collections, citing the bands from the British Invasion phenomenon of the '60s as an influence. 

“We grew up together in Winston Salem in the '60s and '70s, so we have this shared vocabulary and shared upbringing that we can reference,” vocalist and guitarist Peter Holsapple said

Composed of Holsapple, Rigby, Chris Stamey and Gene Holder, the band was invited to play at Hopscotch this year, kicking off the first official tour they have done since 2012. 

Before their Hopscotch performance, The dB's played a warm-up gig at the Rialto in Raleigh on Wednesday. Fans lined up outside the venue, decked out in the band's merchandise and exchanging dB's stories from their youth.

After singer-songwriter Kate Rhudy opened the show, The dB's entered the stage. They started off with their song “The Fight,” featuring a screaming vocal from Holsapple.

The dB's energy only grew as the show progressed. Holsapple and Stamey bantered with each other in between songs, showing their tight bond. 

“We know what to expect from each other,” Holsapple said

The same energy continued later that week at Hopscotch. The dB's played vigorously at The Rialto, but their set at Moore Square was livelier. Fans new and old danced in the crowd, many arriving early to grab a spot at the barricade. 

Stamey, vocalist and guitarist, playfully pulled out a harmonica on the festival stage for the band's song “I'm in Love,” a detail not seen at their Rialto show. 

dbs-hopscotch-music-festival-11.jpg

All four band members were energetic and in sync with each other, though it had been 12 years since they had regularly played together. 

“I think the group dynamic is sort of set in stone at this point,” Rigby said. “We have known each other for so long, the way we communicate is sort of fixed.” 

Florence Dore, UNC professor and Rigby's wife, thought the audience at the show was exciting. 

“People seemed grateful to have the opportunity to hear a band that's long been disbanded,” Dore said

She said that The dB's played a forceful set, and she found it very fun to listen to. 

The dB's closed their Hopscotch performance with their song “Black and White,” which both Rigby and Dore said is one of the band's best tracks. The song features a catchy guitar riff and chorus, with Holsapple on vocals. It is the first single the band created together and can be found on “Stands For deciBels.”

“‘Black and White’ is a classic. It's proved its worth through the years,” Rigby said

Hopscotch features a variety of artists with unique sounds and introduces them to new audiences every year. The dB's are no exception, and they enjoy having new fans. 

The dB's sophomore record, “Repercussion,” is set to be re-released on Oct. 18 during their tour, which runs through mid-November.

More information on The dB’s upcoming release and shows can be found on their website

@dthlifestyle | lifestyle@dailytarheel.com

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Football Preview Edition