Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Column: Two parties divided, stand united — against Haitian immigrants?

opinion-madelyn-politics-column-two.png

The following is the third in a series of recurring columns designed to increase media literacy in a political climate saturated with misinformation ahead of the 2024 elections.

From "fentanyl influx,” to “Haitian immigrants eating cats and dogs,” recent political discussion surrounding immigration has been saturated with fear-mongering. It is no surprise that the resulting public response has been full of confusion and misinformation. So what do we actually know?

Let’s clear a few things up. During the Biden administration, approximately 1.7 million unauthorized immigrants evaded border control. From politicians across party lines, this has been deemed a public crisis, prompting heavy criticism of the current vice president and Democratic candidate, Kamala Harris, for the results of what appears to be the last three years of legislation.

Consequently, false narratives perpetuating Harris’ role as the “border czar” have circulated following Trump’s claims about her responsibility in recent border policy. Implications about her involvement in current crises along the U.S.-Mexico border places blame squarely on her shoulders. This is simply not the case. 

Harris’ responsibility was not short-term policy adjustments; it was long-term management of “root causes” of migration, including foreign investments and government corruption. Even if, hypothetically, Harris had found inordinate success in addressing root causes, the long-term effects would take decades of census and migrant data before they were publicly visible. Throughout the Biden administration, many members of her team referred to her responsibility as a “no-win” situation. 

A concept called the “Overton window” describes the essence of what the general public deems socially and politically acceptable. When political commentators refer to the Overton window “sliding right,” they are broaching the gradual mainstream acceptance of ideas that would have, in the past, been considered sharply conservative or extremist.

Primarily, Trump has once again managed to get away with outwardly false claims about immigrants across the country. Most recently, on the presidential debate stage, he went on a tangent about Haitian immigrants in Springfield, Ohio, eating their neighbors’ pets. In a saddening but unsurprising response to his baseless claim, dozens of hoax bomb threats targeting schools, government buildings and churches have forced a heightened police presence and frequent day-to-day calls for evacuation.

It is my perception that both candidates have shifted toward rhetoric that can be described as anti-immigrant. Though the principles and ethics of closed borders can be debated in a philosophical sense, this rhetoric has real, immediate repercussions that can be seen on a national scale.

Current rhetoric around immigration example this idea perfectly, as more progressive concepts around immigration, like open borders, have been increasingly pushed out of policy conversations. Deliberations no longer resemble “are open borders or closed borders better for the country?” as much as “which candidate keeps the border closed with enough intensity to satisfy my nationalism?” As a result, each candidate has approached border policy with the goal of proving themselves tougher on immigration.

The Trump-Vance campaign has advocated platform-wide for stricter border policy, including but not limited to mass deportations of 11 million undocumented immigrants and the continued construction of a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. However, I’d be more inclined to believe that Trump truly cares for border security had he not been responsible for killing a multi-billion bipartisan bill in the House of Representatives earlier during this calendar year — one that had specifically proposed the expansion of border control agencies, new restrictions for the asylum process and the implementation of emergency measures to increase security.

Revitalizing this failed piece of legislation is the promise that has found itself at the center of Harris’ immigration focus. Aside from this, we have not heard an extensive amount of alternative solutions to handling the border crisis from her campaign. Other than continued backtracking on her former leftist policies — like the decriminalization of border crossings — she has remained uncomfortably quiet about the extent of her plan to address immigration.

The inherent dangers of a political candidate’s brazenly untrue dialogue about immigration could not be more pressing. These are real, tangible issues that matter — to you, to your neighbors, to those that sit across from you in classrooms on campus. Don’t let the constant stream of misinformation sway you from caring. There are fewer than 60 days until the upcoming election; if immigration policy does not matter to you, it should. 

@madelyn_rowley

@dthopinion | opinion@dailytarheel.com