Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Op-ed: Black Student Movement is concerned for UNC’s future without D&I

opinion-op-ed-default-art.png

The Black Student Movement worries for the future of this university after the removal of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion policies.

For so long, marginalized communities have fought to build spaces for ourselves in settings designed to keep us out — education is no different. The Movement itself is the product of a need for targeted support to Black students, and we aren't alone in our mission. Almost every person seeks belonging and stability within their community, but this need is exponentially greater for people of color.

When Black students arrive on this campus, we possess all the fear of an average young adult, attempting to carve a path for ourselves in a place as new and unforgiving as higher education. Yet, in addition to those common concerns, we are also asking ourselves who will see our unique identities and the ways in which they inform the world around us. We come into Carolina with lofty ideals of social justice and equity that are well-received in research and policy because they matter.

So when a minority student comes to our University with such energy, how should they respond when they are met with an administration rife with closed arms and loose terminology? BSM thinks it pertinent to shed light on the massive numbers of faculty and staff who are also concerned with Diversity and Inclusion policies being stripped. Some of the University's finest researchers and professors, many of whom conduct industry-shaping research on the basis of DEI, are also worried for the state of UNC.

The reality is most of the people who make UNC an elite institution understand to some degree the value of DEI. It is a select few at the state level who have taken it upon themselves to remove these policies simply due to a poor and limited understanding of what DEI entails.

The political state of North Carolina and the country more broadly have heavily warped policymakers and invested parties' grasps on the value of DEI. However, make no mistake, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are not frivolous nor are they easily dismissed. Attempting to do so only creates strife and pain for those caught in the crossfire.

In this case, the impacted parties encompass almost every aspect of what makes our University great. If we wish to see this excellence maintained or even grow, change must be made. The Black Student Movement is committed to that charge, dedicating our time and resources to filling the gaps the removal of Diversity and Inclusion policies opened. However, it takes a village to do this kind of work and we need the support of University leadership to make that happen.

— The 57th Black Student Movement Executive Team