Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Evenin’ Out The Playing Field clinic helps diversify white-dominated sports

0915_Paul_sports-dei-edition-beyond-our-game-field-hockey-1.JPG
UNC seniors Valery Orellana and Nora Elsayed, the founders of Evenin' Out the Playing Field, pose for a portrait at Karen Shelton Stadium on Sunday, Sept. 15, 2024.

On a Global Immersion Elective trip with the Kenan-Flagler Business School to Puerto Rico in the spring of 2022, senior Nora Elsayed developed a fever of over 100 degrees.

Eager to get out, Elsayed decided to walk around Ponce, Puerto Rico. Professor Allison Schlobohm joined her. As the two explored the city, Elsayed told Schlobohm about her life-long desire to introduce young Black girls into field hockey. In 2021, only one percent of all Division I field hockey players identified as Black

And Schlobohm knew exactly who to connect Elsayed with: Courtnie Williamson. Not only did Williamson serve as the first Black captain of the UNC field hockey team, but she is also the founder of Beyond Our Game, an organization that aims to create an inclusive environment and educate athletes for life after college. Together, Elsayed and Williamson created Evenin' Out The Playing Field, a free yearly clinic for young girls of color to learn all things field hockey, hosted by Beyond Our Game. 

“Nora was really interested in how to get younger women to be able to access field hockey," Schlobohm said. "And Courtnie was really invested in how to make people who were already having access to sports be able to then access other spaces where their qualities could shine through.”

Since high school, Elsayed aspired to provide a space for athletes of color in a white-dominated sport. She even planned to put on a traveling field hockey clinic that focused on diversity in her hometown of Montgomery County, Md. But the COVID-19 pandemic shut down her efforts.

While applying to North Carolina, Elsayed knew that the school — the home of one of the best collegiate field hockey programs in the nation — would be a great place to return to her original initiative.

“This clinic is coming to UNC, come hell or high water,” Elsayed said

Elsayed initially joined the Beyond Our Game team as a social media coordinator and coach. Working alongside Williamson, who used her connections as a Division I field hockey player, the two were finally able to host the clinic that Elsayed had envisioned.

Thirty girls signed up for the first Evenin’ Out The Playing Field clinic at Karen Shelton Stadium in October 2022. Elsayed, co-founder Valery Orellana and Williamson acted as the primary hosts of the event, with members of the UNC field hockey team present to support in teaching and giving a tour to the participants.

Both Williamson and Elsayed look back fondly on the first clinic. Elsayed overheard a young girl asking her mother if they could buy a field hockey stick on the way home. 

“I just took a moment to gather myself," Williamson said. "Because I was just in awe of the impact that you can make when you prioritize this sense of community and you bring people together in a positive and uplifting way and with a big support group." 

Evenin’ Out The Playing Field will host its field hockey clinic on Oct. 13. While her work is not over yet, Elsayed has started to achieve her goals of empowering young Black girls through these clinics. 

And for that, she has her fever to thank. 

@aplancaster_