Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Despite setbacks, trailblazers in UNC athletics helped set the stage for equality

sports-dei-edition-unc-dei-history.png
Photos courtesy of DTH Archives.

When the North Carolina football team traveled to play NYU in 1936, the Chapel Hill community thought UNC’s school system would crumble.

Angry letters flooded the desk of then-University President Frank Porter Graham, calling his decision to play the Tar Heels against an integrated football team a threat to the University. 

But UNC didn’t collapse.

Instead, Graham’s decision made North Carolina the first major southern university to play an integrated football team, a major step toward the eventual desegregation of Tar Heel athletics and its campus. Trailblazers like Charlie Scott and Ricky Lanier later led the way in establishing racial equality through UNC athletics, while women like Frances Hogan led the charge in pushing for Title IX initiatives.

"Black athletes have an effect on American culture [that] is undeniable," sports historian and UNC professor Matt Andrews said. 

In 1967, Charlie Scott became the first African American to play on UNC's varsity basketball team. At the time of his recruitment, there were only 15 Black undergraduate students and 53 in total enrolled at the University. This made campus life difficult for Scott, especially when teammates would leave for fraternity parties, or other events around town, that the star point guard could not attend during the segregated '60s. 

To make things harder, his success on the basketball court determined the level of respect Scott received from predominately white Tar Heel fans.

According Andrews, Scott’s game-winner in the 1969 NCAA tournament against Davidson prompted high fives and "we love yous" from nearly everyone in the crowd. But when Scott and the Tar Heels lost in the following tournament round, the previous support abandoned him. Instead, supposed fans called him by racial slurs. 

“[Only] as long as you’re one of [our players], as long as you’re successful, everything’s going to be fine,” Andrews said about the added pressure Scott had toward his performances. 

To create a better environment for Scott and other recruited players of color, former head coach Dean Smith did away with any UNC traditions he saw as derogatory. Author Art Chansky revealed in his book, “Game Changers,” that Smith met with the Marching Tar Heels’ band major John Yesulaitis to discuss one of the songs they played called "Dixie." Considering its ties to the Southern confederacy, the head coach promptly asked to remove the song from the basketball anthems that the pep band played.  

Eliminating racist traditions was a start, but pivotal figures from the North Carolina basketball program helped move the Tar Heels closer and closer to equality just with their presence. 

“Who was the face of desegregation on this campus?” Andrews asked, before answering, “When the basketball program is the face of the University, it’s Charlie Scott.” 

With Scott having such an impact, head coach Bill Dooley of UNC’s football team reached out to the basketball team for a special favor. He asked Scott to show football recruit Ricky Lanier around campus on his recruiting visit. 

During the tour, Scott gave Lanier honest advice about what he should expect as a person of color at a southern university. Thanks to Scott’s relatability, Lanier decided to play for the Tar Heels, later becoming the first African American player to receive a football scholarship. 

Like Scott and Lanier leading the way for African American students on campus, Hogan helped push for gender equality as early as the 1940s. 

Hogan, who coached club field hockey for more than 30 years, became the first female associate athletic director at UNC and raised several women’s club sports to the varsity level through her work, including basketball, field hockey, volleyball, fencing, swimming and diving, tennis and gymnastics.

The enactment of Title IX in 1972, outlined how all Tar Heels, regardless of sex or gender, were endowed with equal opportunities whether in sports or any other educational programs. Hogan’s work christened her as “the mother of women’s sports at Carolina."

In a sharp contrast to these early efforts, the recent state of UNC represents a different outlook to diversity at the University. In May, the Board of Governors repealed a UNC system-wide DEI policy, affecting programs and initiatives related to diversity. Although the future is unclear on how DEI cuts will affect UNC athletics, in Andrews' opinion, these problems touch only the surface of a larger issue. 

“It's not just [that] UNC is a problem,” Andrews said. “It's indicative of a whole host of problems that starts with the way we fund public schools in this state.” 

@cadeshoemaker23