Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

In fourth straight shutout, No. 2 UNC field hockey dominates No. 11 Liberty in 7-0 win

1008_Paul_field-hockey-liberty-9.JPG
UNC sophomore forward Ryleigh Heck (12) fights for possession during the field hockey game against Liberty at Karen Shelton Stadium on Sunday, Oct. 8, 2023. UNC fell to Liberty 1-2.

The No. 2 North Carolina women’s field hockey team (6-0) defeated No. 11 Liberty University (4-3) 7-0 on Sunday in Lynchburg, Va.

The first quarter was marked by a strong defensive battle, with both teams struggling to find the back of the net. Senior goalkeeper Abigail Taylor made a key save early on, while Liberty thwarted several attempts. Despite a flurry of activity, the first quarter ended with no goals, as UNC registered three shots but failed to convert.

The second quarter saw a dramatic shift, with UNC asserting control. The scoring began just moments into the quarter when sophomore forward Charly Bruder found the net following a well-executed penalty corner inserted by fifth-year back Ciana Riccardo. This goal, assisted by fifth-year midfielder Katie Dixon, set the tone for UNC's offensive onslaught.

As UNC continued to press, junior forward Ryleigh Heck emerged as a key player, contributing significantly to the team's scoring. Following Bruder's goal, junior midfielder Sietske Brüning netted another, showcasing a precise forehand shot that further extended the lead. Heck then scored her fourth goal of the season, capitalizing on a rebound with a powerful reverse blast into the net.

The scoring frenzy didn't stop there. Sophomore midfielder Sanne Hak added to the tally with a stunning shot into the top right corner, bringing the score to 4-0 before the half. Liberty finally managed to register their first shot of the match late in the quarter, but Taylor was ready, making a crucial save to preserve the shutout.

The third quarter began with UNC maintaining their momentum. Just a minute and a half in, Heck scored again, assisted by graduate midfielder Pleun Lammers, pushing the lead to 5-0. The Tar Heels continued to apply pressure, but the Flames' defense held firm, keeping the score from ballooning further.

In the fourth quarter, UNC continued to dominate. Senior forward Lisa Slinkert and Bruder both had opportunities early on, but Liberty’s goalkeeper cleared the circle. However, in the 50th minute, Dixon batted a rebound into the net for her first goal of the season, extending the lead to 6-0. Heck then added to the tally, scoring her sixth goal of the season with a reverse shot into the right side, bringing the score to 7-0.

UNC made several substitutions in the closing minutes, allowing fresh legs to maintain the intensity. Liberty managed to take a shot late in the quarter, but Taylor was solid in goal, ensuring the shutout. 

The Tar Heels effectively controlled the pace of the game, showcasing their skill as they secured a decisive 7-0 victory.