Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Behind three straight defensive shutouts, UNC field hockey's Abigail Taylor is building confidence

20210924_Wilder_FockeyBC-195.jpg
UNC freshman goalkeeper Abigail Taylor (82) and senior midfielder Cassie Sumfest (12) prepare to defend the goal during the Tar Heels' home matchup against Boston College at Karen Shelton Stadium on Sept. 24, 2021. The Tar Heels won 6-1.

With 15 seconds left in the game, Syracuse rushed senior goalkeeper Abigail Taylor.

Taylor readied herself, moved into her defensive position and prepared to use her last bits of energy. 

But before she needed to take any action, North Carolina got the stop — a product of the defensive connection the UNC goalkeeper anchors in the backfield. 

Behind Taylor’s four saves and North Carolina's lockdown defense, No. 2 UNC took down the No. 15 Syracuse Orange, 5-0, on Friday to open up ACC play at Karen Shelton Stadium. Consistent off-season work, meditation and a positive mindset propelled Taylor to lead the defense to another victory against a top-15 opponent.

And with three consecutive shutouts and a 5-0 record to back her up, it is safe to say the goalkeeper's efforts toward building back her confidence have been worthwhile.

Last season, Taylor only played in five games. After starting almost every game during her first two seasons with the Tar Heels and playing the entire 60 minutes in the national championship win in 2022, Taylor moved to the bench as Lehigh transfer Maddie Khan took over the position full-time.

Although Taylor pushed North Carolina to a 3-2 victory against Michigan to open the 2023 season, Taylor had a rough start against Iowa last August, leading to an overtime 3-2 defeat and UNC's first loss at home since November of 2021. 

Despite winning a national championship title a year earlier, Taylor felt her confidence dipping, opening the door for a two goalkeeper arrangement. Khan eventually won the starting role. 

Following consecutive seasons of running the show, Taylor took a backseat.

It was difficult, especially because the veteran goalkeeper had never been benched before.  

"I wasn't in the best place mentally going into the season," she said. "I think that contributed a lot to my dip in confidence after our second game last season."

But with Khan graduated, the position is back in Taylor's hands. 

And while Taylor's confidence was evident on the field on Friday, the in-the-head aspects of the game have always been the most challenging for her. That's why she struggled last season and that's why she spent this summer building herself back up. 

“The mental part of the game is 99 percent of what the game is, especially for goalies,” Taylor said. “I know now what I have to do to prepare.”

As far as preparation goes, Taylor has learned over the past year that mediation, visualization and white noise help to get her in the proper headspace to guard the box. 

Well, that, and blasting AC/DC’s “Thunderstruck” in her teammate and roommate Ashton Odiorne's Bronco. 

Whatever it is, the methods are clearly working, and those around her have been able to pick up on it. Senior back Kelly Smith said Taylor is never rattled by a play, and Matson sees how much she has been a rock in the cage.

“I think she's way confident in herself, and also her teammates feel that, so it's radiating from her,” Matson said. “She's been making great decisions. She's been trusting her gut.”

Taylor knows she’s ready to compete when she’s wishing the defense messes up so she gets the chance to make the save. 

One play in the second quarter against Syracuse saw Taylor one-on-one with an offensive player. When the shot came, all Taylor had to do was stick out her foot to block it and it bounced out of play. 

“In her communication and all of the clears and saves she's had, it makes everybody else want to step up and play together,” Smith said. 

Taylor describes the defensive connection as “effortless," but not in the sense that no one is trying. It just comes naturally and without force. With every starting player on the defense a returner from last year’s title run, the chemistry was already established. 

Even with an undefeated start to the season, Taylor is putting less pressure on herself to be perfect this year. She’s trusting herself more than she ever has to make the right call. 

Whether the things rushing at her are doubts or opposing players, Taylor is ready to help lead the team to another impressive season behind her newfound confidence. 

@aplancaster_