Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Quarterback Conner Harrell builds confidence in first start at Kenan Stadium

20240907_Zinn_HALFTIME-UNCC-4.jpg

UNC quarterback Conner Harrell (15) passes the ball during the home opener against UNC Charlotte on Saturday, Sept. 7, 2024 at Kenan Stadium. UNC won 38-20.

During the opening drive of his first start at Kenan Stadium, sophomore quarterback Conner Harrell looked down the field for open receivers.

But before he could find one, he was hit. Harrell fumbled, but the potential turnover was avoided thanks to first-year offensive lineman Aidan Banfield, who recovered the ball — albeit for a 12-yard loss. Harrell's initiation at QB1 had begun. 

“I think there were some drives I want back [and] some plays I want back,” Harrell said. 

And while his transition from second-string to starter after graduate quarterback Max Johnson suffered a season-ending injury against Minnesota last Thursday wasn't picturesque, the performance was promising. Despite this shaky start, Harrell led the Tar Heels to a 38-20 victory against UNC Charlotte on Saturday. The sophomore completed 16 of 25 passes for 219 yards and two touchdowns, rushing for 39 yards. With all eyes on him and his first start in the 2024 season, it's safe to say Harrell passed the test. 

As he continues to adjust to his position, head coach Mack Brown is aware of the pressure. He knows this season will be about Harrell growing into his own.  

“You're following Drake [Maye] and Sam [Howell], so that's a load,” Brown said. “You're following Max, who had a great third quarter the other night. That's a load.”

Although Harrell said these pressures didn't feel like much going into the game, how could they not? 

Brown said while Harrell is not new to huge crowds and big moments after leading his high school to two state championships in Alabama, the scene is still a lot for the seemingly inexperienced player. 

Compared to fifth-year Johnson and multi-year starters like Howell and Maye, the sophomore hasn't seen much game action. 

Last season, Harrell appeared in five games, with his first collegiate start coming in UNC's 30-10 loss against West Virginia in the Duke's Mayo Bowl. After redshirting his first season, the quarterback recorded his first pass in North Carolina's 59-7 thrashing of Campbell eight games into the season last year.

“I'm sure he was anxious because this is his first time he's ever started at home,” Brown said. “He played a little bit against Campbell in the second half, but he really hasn't played.”

Yet, according to his teammates, Harrell is already doing everything a starting quarterback should. First-year running back Davion Gause said Harrell is consistent on his throws and takes control of the offense in practice.

“I knew he was going to come out here and do great,” Gause said. 

Over the last week, Harrell has been doing all that he can to prepare. Prior to the game, Harrell took some quiet moments to himself. He imagined playing in the stadium, making plays and following his game plan. He tried to relax and remind himself to play confidently. 

Sure, the almost-fumble came on the first drive, but as Harrell settled, his imaginations began to come to life. 

He threw a 30-yard dart to senior tight end Bryson Nesbit for the Tar Heels' first touchdown of the game. He rushed four yards to find the end zone. During a trick play, he threw a 58-yard deep ball for his longest collegiate pass that expanded UNC's lead. 

“This [game] will be worth five years of coaching,” Brown said. 

North Carolina's goal is to have this confidence grow over the season for its new starting guy. Saturday's win is just the beginning, as Harrell will likely get better as the season goes on. 

And Brown has one wish moving forward for the quarterback with his first full game in Kenan Stadium under his belt. 

“I think he needs to have more fun and quit trying to please us all,” Brown said. “And hopefully, after today, he'll be able to do that.”

@aplancaster_