Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Duke's 21-0 run stunts UNC in 21-20 loss to the Blue Devils

20240928_sharon_football-vs-duke-195.jpg
UNC junior running back Omarion Hampton (28) carries the ball during the football game against Duke on Saturday, Sep. 28, 2024 at Wallace Wade Stadium.

The UNC football team (3-2) fell to the Duke Blue Devils (5-0), 21-20, for the first time since 2018 on Saturday afternoon at Wallace Wade Stadium. 

Stunted by Duke's 21-0 run in the second half, the Tar Heels were unable to answer or stop the Blue Devils in the last 30 minutes. After leading 17-0 going into the half, the Blue Devils recorded 297 total yards with 148 coming from rushing attempts compared to UNC's 187 total yards. With a little over one minute remaining, graduate quarterback Jacolby Criswell threw an interception, taking any hopes of a UNC comeback with it. 

"[It was a] devastating loss," Criswell said. "Games like that are why you play football and they did what they needed to do in the second half to get the win and we just have to keep improving week in, week out.

After each squad went three-and-out during its opening drives, the Tar Heels found some rhythm on their second attempt. 

Unable to notch a touchdown while at Duke's 22-yard line, graduate place-kicker Noah Burnette notched a 40-yard field goal to put the Tar Heels up 3-0 with 10 minutes left in the first quarter. 

With the Blue Devils' facing the same quick outing on the next possession, the Tar Heels broke through the end zone on their following drive. 

Relying on the deep ball, North Carolina worked its way downfield through the combined efforts of junior wide receiver Kobe Paysour, graduate wide receiver J.J. Jones and Nesbit. 

On the fourth down at Duke’s 24-yard line, Criswell threw the ball to the right side of the end zone and into the hands of a wide-open Jones to take a 10-0 lead. 

Following a poor start in the second quarter, UNC found some consistency led by the efforts of Hampton.  

On Duke’s 38-yard line, Criswell passed up the middle to Omarion who powered his way downfield, putting the Tar Heels within one yard of Duke territory. 

Plagued by penalties that cost them 15 yards, the Tar Heels eventually pushed themselves back to the 10-yard line. But Criswell found a wide-open Nesbit in the right side of the end zone to extend UNC’s lead by 17 heading into the half on the next drive.

To open the third quarter, UNC worked itself to Duke's 9-yard line, but following a holding penalty, North Carolina settled for a field goal with Burnette notching a 37-yard attempt.

After holding the Blue Devils scoreless through the first half, Duke finally found the end zone. 

"I thought we'd come out and take over the game, which we should to start the third quarter and we didn't," head coach Mack Brown said.

Working to UNC's 41-yard line, Blue Devil running back Star Thomas rushed for 19 yards. Following a penalty, quarterback Maalik Murphy pitched the football to Thomas who ran 29 yards for the touchdown. 

With the Tar Heels going three-and-out on the next possession, the Blue Devils continued to push themselves out of the deficit. 

Headed into the fourth quarter, Duke continued to inch closer into UNC territory. Powered by a 43-yard pass to wide receiver Jordan Moore and Thomas' rushing attempts, the Blue Devils eventually found the end zone. 

Following a 10-yard penalty, Thomas rushed up the middle for two yards at the UNC 2-yard line to make it a one-possession game. 

Eventually, the Blue Devils took their first lead with less than six minutes remaining. In five plays, led by Duke's running backs, Thomas ran up the middle for a 20-yard gain to make the score 21-20. 

On their next possession, the Tar Heels only made it to their own 41-yard line before junior punter Tom Maginness took the field.

After holding the Blue Devils to North Carolina's 45-yard line, UNC took the field quickly, looking to make it into field goal range. On third down, Criswell looked to pass to graduate tight end John Copenhaver, but the ball was intercepted by Duke's Tre Freeman to put an end to the game. 

"We handle adversity," graduate defensive lineman Jahvaree Ritzie said. "Everybody has adversity, but you just gotta figure out how to keep it going and that's what we can figure out."

The Tar Heels will return to Kenan Stadium on Saturday to take on Pitt at noon. 

@_emmahmoon

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com