Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Defensive collapse costs UNC football record-setting 70-50 loss against JMU

20240921_Soukthavone_sports-jmu-football

UNC senior linebacker Power Echols (23) and junior defensive back Marcus Allen (29) tackle JMU wide receiver Omarion Dollison (9) during the football game against James Madison University on Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024 at Kenan Stadium. UNC lost 70-50.

Mack Brown had no one to blame. 

Red-faced and dejected, the UNC football head coach looked inward for North Carolina’s defensive collapse against JMU. The Tar Heels surrendered 53 first-half points — the most by any opponent against UNC in a half — en route to their first loss of the season, 70-50, on Saturday afternoon. The 70 points are also the most UNC has ever given up in a game.

“It only comes back to one person and that's me,” Brown said, later adding, “The people that want to blame me, they should. Because I am at fault, 100 percent.”

North Carolina’s defensive issues began during the first play from scrimmage. In the week prior, Brown and other UNC coaches vocalized their desire for a quick start against the Dukes. But JMU quarterback Alonza Barnett III thrashed those hopes with his 38-yard keeper on the game’s first snap. 

The Dukes capitalized on 14 big plays  — seven of which tallied 24 yards or more — to record 611 yards total and nine touchdowns. It was a consistent dose of deep balls, often exploiting busted coverages or poor tackling, allowing JMU to secure over 40 yards on four different plays. 

By the end of the second quarter, the Tar Heel defenders exited the field in a 53-21 deficit and to a chorus of boos. 

“I felt bad for our fans and our students that came,” Brown said. “For them to have to look at something like that.” 

20240921_Kirkpatrick_james-madison-unc-football_24.jpg
UNC senior defensive end Desmond Evans (10) blocks an offensive player against James Madison University at Kenan Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024. UNC lost 70-50.

Yet, these issues are nothing new. Problems in the secondary have plagued UNC for the past few years. North Carolina let go of former defensive coordinator Gene Chizik and hired current defensive coordinator Geoff Collins this year to revamp the defense. 

And for the most part, Collins fulfilled those duties. Until Saturday.

The Tar Heel front seven held Minnesota, Charlotte and N.C. Central all under 100 rushing yards. UNC also displayed improved goal-line defense in those games — recording three sacks, eight TFLs and forcing seven incompletions on 29 snaps from inside the 10-yard line. 

But against the Dukes, North Carolina went back to its old ways. 

For what reason? Brown doesn’t really know.

He claimed he had no idea what the problem was. He simply stood, watched and listened as it all went downhill. Still, Brown didn’t shift the blame toward Collins or any other coach on his staff.

“[The] failure across the board is me,” Brown said. “I hired them all, so if they don’t do their job it’s my responsibility because I’m the one that got them here.” 

As for the players, little was revealed about the morale of the team. No players came to the podium after Saturday’s beatdown, so their head coach revealed the only insight. 

The three words Brown used to describe their emotions were disappointed, hurt and embarrassed. In his post-game speech, the veteran coach chose not to address their failure, but instead suggest the only hope for the team started with him. 

“They were getting beaten up by everybody here. They didn't need me to beat them up,” Brown said. “I'm their only hope, and here I am. If I beat them up, they give up and I can't give up.” 

@cadeshoemaker23