Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Despite quarterback uncertainty, UNC football prepares to take on JMU

20240907_Zinn_Sports-vs-UNCC-FB-2.jpg
UNC sophomore quarterback Conner Harrell (15) awaits a snap during the home opener against Charlotte on Saturday, Sept. 7, 2024 at Kenan Stadium. UNC won 38-20.

UNC's quarterback battle entered a new chapter last week. 

On the third drive against N.C. Central University on Saturday, graduate quarterback Jacolby Criswell stepped onto the field, appearing poised and confident. On that same drive, Criswell led North Carolina to the end zone for the first time that evening during the Tar Heels' eventual 45-10 victory.

But before that play, Criswell sat on the bench behind starting sophomore quarterback Conner Harrell. Three weeks ago, the original third-stringer sat behind Harrell and graduate Max Johnson before his season-ending injury.  

Although Harrell got off to a shaky start, following the game, head coach Mack Brown said the plan was to always have Criswell step in on the third series. 

And moving forward after Criswell's success, Brown made his intentions clear. 

“We'll be playing both of them,” he said in the post-game press conference. “We're just going to look at it and see what we can do to find the hot hand and keep them out there.”

As the Tar Heels work to become more cohesive, here are three keys for North Carolina to finish out the nonconference slate undefeated:

Developing quarterback consistency

With Brown using a two-quarterback system for now, UNC needs more consistent production.

“We've got to play both of them the whole game,” Brown said. “We've got to get their experience caught up as fast as we can.”

Against NCCU, Criswell completed 14 of 23 passes, totaling 161 yards and one touchdown. Harrell completed two of six passes for 22 yards, even after re-entering the game for a few series in the third and fourth quarter. 

“We dropped some balls, probably from frustration that we're not throwing it as well as we have in the last five years,” Brown said. “It doesn't matter. We have to step up and do a better job in those areas.”

Over the last two seasons, Harrell has only seen the field eight times with three appearances coming this year. Meanwhile, Criswell appeared in 14 games in his first three years at UNC followed by four games off the bench after transferring to Arkansas for a single season. 

North Carolina ranks second-to-last in offensive efficiency in the ACC. 

Due to the quarterbacks' inexperience, Brown said he can't say who the starting quarterback will be. 

“They're very different,” Brown said. “And what we've got to do is do a better job as we go forward, making sure we do what each one does best.”

Reducing penalties on defense

Only one yard separated N.C. Central from the endzone in the final two minutes of the first half. 

With a chance to cut the deficit to three on third down, the Eagles snapped the ball. The Tar Heels surged toward the pocket. The NCCU quarterback scrambled, but sophomore defensive back Kaleb Cost and senior linebacker Power Echols followed, suffocating him from both sides. 

The UNC defensive line celebrated.  

But then a flag was thrown — a penalty on UNC for unsportsmanlike conduct. The tenth penalty on the Tar Heels of the first half. 

“It was very unusual,” Brown said. “I don't know where it came from. We obviously have addressed it and been aggressive with them.”

Even though UNC found a way to hold NCCU to a field goal, the penalties — one of 16 North Carolina received on Saturday — put pressure on the defense. 

“Once that penalty came, it was back to the basics,” senior defensive back Antavious “Stick” Lane said. “[After a penalty] we always say, ‘Just put the ball down.’” 

UNC ranks second-worst in the ACC in number of penalties this season with 27. On average, penalties cost the Tar Heels 71.3 yards per game, fourth-worst in the conference. 

Meanwhile, James Madison ranks 8th in the nation in fewest penalties and averages only 38 penalty yards per game. 

“Every one of the penalties was pointed out with the big red dot circling the guy,” defensive coordinator Geoff Collins said. “So [we] don’t shy away from addressing it.”

Facing a familiar foe

After two seasons at UNC, redshirt sophomore George Pettaway entered the transfer portal, electing to join JMU's running back room. 

Pettaway rushed for 93 yards and two touchdowns in 2022. He only appeared in four games in 2023 before redshirting. 

Now, Pettaway leads the Dukes in rushing yards with 114 in two games. 

The Tar Heels will face their former teammate on Saturday and look to limit his efficiency on the ground. Lane said Pettaway's shiftiness allows him to shake off his coverage and break into open space. 

“He's a good player, so I'm happy for him at the end of the day,” Lane said. “He gotta go against us this week, so I don't want him to do none of that.”

@carolinewills03