Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Following JMU's 53-point first half, UNC football falls to the Dukes, 70-50

20240921_Kirkpatrick_james-madison-unc-football-halftime_4.jpg
UNC graduate quarterback Jacolby Criswell (12) is blocked by a defender against James Madison University on Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024 at Kenan Stadium.

What was billed as a potential low-scoring affair quickly became a beatdown after JMU tallied 53 first-half points in a game that was over before halftime. 

North Carolina (3-1) was routed by JMU (3-0) 70-50 on Saturday afternoon in Kenan Stadium after conceding the most points to an opponent during any half in program history. Despite a 474-yard, three-touchdown passing effort by graduate quarterback Jacolby Criswell and running back Omarion Hampton’s 139-yard, three-touchdown day, two interceptions and a trio of fumbles handicapped UNC’s offense as the Dukes ran away. 

It began with Dukes quarterback Alonza Barnett III, who broke free for a 38-yard QB keeper on the opening play. This set up JMU placekicker Noe Ruelas for a 50-yard field goal. 

On Criswell’s inaugural down at starting QB, the graduate transfer found wide receiver Chris Hamilton on a 42-yard deep ball. The big play set UNC up in the red zone after one play, but Hamilton later fumbled the ball away around the 8-yard line. 

From that point forward, the Dukes had no trouble scoring against UNC’s secondary, making big play after big play. 

“Our defense, who played great all spring, all presson, and played outstanding for the first three games looked awful today,” head coach Mack Brown said. “We had missed tackles, we had communication problems, we had guys wide-open for a touchdown.” 

JMU blocked UNC’s punt and returned it for a special teams touchdown. North Carolina then answered with its first touchdown of the day — a direct snap to Hampton before handing it off to Criswell who rolled out and found tight end John Copenhaver for the score.

Two possessions later, Hampton tallied a 28-yard touchdown rush — the 25th of his career — and gave UNC its only lead on the afternoon. Yet that lead lasted only 32 seconds before the Dukes scored a 69-yard touchdown two snaps later. 

JMU then recovered an onside kick and scored a second touchdown to go up 25-14. 

With 14:33 remaining in the second quarter, Criswell found tight end Bryson Nesbit for UNC’s final points of the half. From there, North Carolina’s offense sputtered while the Dukes poured on points.

It was a pair of three-and-outs, two interceptions and a second fumble that stunted UNC and allowed JMU to run away with the game. Barnett rushed for a touchdown and passed for two more before a pick-six with 56 seconds left capped off the historic half. 

At the halftime break, UNC trailed 53-21 with Kenan Stadium raining boos as the Tar Heels exited the field. 

“You get what you play for,” Brown admitted. “If you play bad, people are going to boo you.” 

The Tar Heels eventually stopped the bleeding in the second half with an early field goal and Hampton’s second rushing touchdown of the game. 

UNC also gained a small spark from blocking a JMU punt and returning it for a touchdown, before Hampton notched his third touchdown on the day in the fourth quarter. However, consistent scoring by JMU and a healthy diet of rushing attempts melted the clock before UNC could make it a ball game. 

“We were in such a hole we couldn’t get out,” Brown said. 

The result is the most points UNC has ever allowed in a game and only the second time head coach Mack Brown lost when his team has scored more than 40 points. Previously Brown and company were 48-1. 

North Carolina will open ACC play by traveling to Durham for its next game, in the 110th installment of the UNC-Duke rivalry. Kickoff is slated for 4:00 PM at Wallace Wade Stadium.

@cadeshoemaker23