Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Preview: Three keys for undefeated UNC football heading into matchup against NCCU

0907_Paul_charlotte-football-18.JPG
UNC junior running back Omarion Hampton (28) runs down the field during the home opener football game against UNC Charlotte on Saturday, Sept. 7, 2024, in Kenan Stadium. UNC won 38-20.

With sophomore quarterback Conner Harrell now at the helm of the UNC offense, North Carolina is off to a 2-0 start following a win against Charlotte last weekend. 

Ahead of Saturday's matchup against North Carolina Central, the Tar Heels will look to shore up their play in key areas to remain unbeaten this season.

Here are three keys to a UNC win on Saturday as the non-conference slate continues:

Preventing explosive plays

In its first two wins of the season against Minnesota and Charlotte, North Carolina flaunted its new-look defense under defensive coordinator Geoff Collins. The Tar Heels allowed just 78 and 49 rushing yards, respectively, ranking 16th in Division I.

Yet in terms of total defense, North Carolina ranks a middling 62nd — which Collins attributes to allowing "way too many" explosive plays last Saturday. The 49ers were able to exploit the UNC secondary by beating individual matchups.

“We look at that and we say leverage is something you can control before the snap,” junior defensive back Marcus Allen said.

That’s in contrast to the Minnesota game, where Collins said the Tar Heels gave up big plays mainly because of missed tackles. In this respect, UNC’s defense improved — only  one big play was caused by a missed tackle against Charlotte.

However, N.C. Central isn’t short of weapons. Head coach Mack Brown said he’s impressed with NCCU running back J’Mari Taylor, who has three rushing touchdowns in his first two games. Collins noted wide receiver Joaquin Davis’ speed and athleticism as a threat to the North Carolina defense. Davis has notched 164 receiving yards so far this season. 

And while the UNC defense has shown flashes of improvement, it must prevent big plays against N.C. Central to take another step toward consistency. 

Be prepared for N.C. Central’s aggressive defense

Last Saturday, the 49ers sacked Harrell on UNC’s first drive, forcing a fumble. North Carolina recovered the ball, but it cost the Tar Heels a 12-yard loss, stunting offensive momentum. 

Similar pressure will come from the Eagles' aggressive defense and Harrell will have to adjust quickly.

N.C. Central averages nine tackles for loss per game, the third most in the FCS. In comparison, Charlotte averages nine and Minnesota just 5.5. The Eagles are also tied for the ninth most sacks per game.

Offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey said he wants Harrell to commit to his decisions on time. Though Lindsey said decisiveness isn’t a particular struggle for Harrell, he acknowledged how a quarterback who hasn’t played much can take longer to read and react to the defense.

“Just trying to make it where, ‘Hey, we know where to go with the ball every time,’” Lindsey said. “There's no guessing, there's no indecision.”

Keep Harrell confident

Pressure may be an understatement for a quarterback who came into the season as the backup and now must follow in the footsteps of Drake Maye and Sam Howell. The way to ease that pressure, as Lindsey sees it, is more in-game reps.

“When a guy doesn't have a lot of experience, maybe he puts a little too much pressure on himself,” Lindsey said. “But I think the more he continues to play, he'll grow in that area.”

Lindsey said he doesn’t want to show panic as a coach. So even after Harrell’s rough opening drive, Lindsey’s message through the headphones aimed to settle his quarterback down. 

On North Carolina’s next drive, Harrell found senior tight end Bryson Nesbit for the Tar Heels’ first touchdown.

"I thought I played confidently," Harrell said. "You're going to make mistakes and do stuff wrong, miss a read here and there. But if you do it confidently and keep moving the chains, it's not as big of a problem. When you make mistakes and you are doing it timidly, that's when it become a problem."

Saturday represents a chance for Harrell to gain more experience under center — albeit against a team that will attempt to force him into mistakes immediately. More than making the right reads or having the right footwork, maintaining a next play mentality will be key for Harrell and North Carolina to succeed.

@dmtwumasi