Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Off the bench, Jacolby Criswell steps in as quarterback against N.C. Central

20240914_Denman_NCCentralFootball-3.jpg
UNC graduate quarterback Jacolby Criswell (12) calls a play against N.C. Central at Kenan Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 14, 2024. UNC won 45-10.

Jacolby Criswell didn’t set the world on fire on Saturday. He knew he didn’t need to.

Even with the knowledge that he would play his first significant minutes at UNC since 2022 on Saturday, the graduate quarterback's morning routine stayed the same —pray then listen to Noah Kahan's "Forever."

“It keeps me in my mind to where I don't have to do anything fancy,” Criswell said. “Like, just go out there and play ball.”

On Saturday in UNC’s 45-10 victory over N.C. Central, Criswell completed 14 of 23 passes and threw for 161 yards. Criswell entered the season third in the quarterback order behind a now-injured Max Johnson and sophomore Conner Harrell. After donning Carolina Blue for three seasons and only seeing the field off the bench, he transferred to Arkansas in search of more playing time. But after appearing in four games as a Razorback, he set his sights back on UNC. 

Although Criswell said he felt comfortable, the circumstances he inherited were uncomfortable. At the end of Harrell's drive in the first quarter — where he almost threw an interception and barely escaped a sack — Criswell took the reins with UNC down 7-0. 

Even with Harrell's mistakes, head coach Mack Brown said these were always going to be the circumstances. The coaching staff decided Criswell would take the third drive regardless of the situation. But even after his designated entry, Criswell stayed in because he played well according to Brown. Harrell only saw the field again for brief minutes in the third and fourth quarter. 

On his second snap, Criswell threw a deep ball to senior tight end Bryson Nesbit, drawing a pass interference call to move the chains 15 yards. Two UNC touchdowns later, Criswell was a perfect 5-5 on his passes, throwing for 38 yards.

Junior running back Omarion Hampton said Criswell told the team to not worry about the plays gone wrong earlier and to worry about the next play. Those messages, Hampton said, helped the team keep its head up.

“We all talked to him [before the game] to make sure he was ready,” Hampton said. “But we all knew he was comfortable because he does good at practice all week and everything. So he's always prepared.”

Still, it took a lot for Criswell to be prepared to have a game like this. He had to put his head down and buy in. Because his transfer took place in the summer, he missed spring training. He had to adjust to offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey’s offense after the departure of Phil Longo

“[Lindsey's] all about trust,” Criswell said. “If you do one wrong thing, he's like, ‘OK, I can't call this play with him.' So it's all about [when] he calls a play, let me do it the way he taught me to do it.”

That meant losing weight, even after working to gain weight to adjust to Arkansas’ pro-style offense. Criswell said he lost 15 pounds in the last month.

And he's quick to attribute any sort of success to his teammates. Perhaps it’s not surprising Criswell is so complimentary. Brown said the three quarterbacks could hold Bible study every week because they’re just nice kids.

So, after the game, Criswell credited his offensive line after not getting touched by an N.C. Central player all evening. When he sees third and three, he’s looking right at Hampton, or “Big O,” who recorded his second game with over 200 rushing yards. Criswell knows that’s all him.

As Brown plans to utilize two quarterbacks this season, Criswell knows what he needs to do. And his Saturday performance proved just that. 

“As the quarterback, obviously, you need to lead,” Criswell said. “But with a great team, you don't have to do anything flashy. Just go out there and play your role as the quarterback.”

@dmtwumasi