Friday, Sept. 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Derek Dixon, a four-star, class of 2025 combo guard, commits to UNC men's basketball

Derek-dixon
Via @thederekdixon on Instagram.

Derek Dixon, a four-star recruit in the class of 2025, announced his commitment to UNC basketball on Friday afternoon on the 247 Sports Channel. He chose the Tar Heels over Pittsburgh, Vanderbilt and Virginia.

Dixon is the first commit for head coach Hubert Davis in the 2025 class. The 6-foot-3, 190 pound combo guard is ranked No. 47 according to the 247Sports Composite and the sixth-best combo guard in the country. 

“I felt the love, I felt like I was a priority for them,” Dixon said following his commitment on the 247 Sports Channel. “Which is something that was really big for me and I felt like I fit what they were doing and there was opportunity for me there.”

In May, Davis offered Dixon. His commitment comes just three weeks after his official visit to UNC on Sept. 6. 

From Washington, D.C., Dixon attends Gonzaga College and can knock down shots from the outside, along with being a skilled passer and finisher at the rim. During the EYBL season, Dixon averaged 15 points a game, shooting 39 percent from beyond the arc and 91 percent from the free throw line.

@mdmaynard74

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com