Sunday, Sept. 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

No. 17 UNC men's soccer bests ETSU, 6-0

20231126_Skvoretz_UNC-MSOC-Hofstra-703.jpg
UNC sophomore midfielder Sam Williams (7) celebrates after UNC wins the third round game of the NCAA men’s division one soccer tournament against Hofstra on Sunday, Nov. 26, 2023, at Dorrance Field. UNC wins 2-2 (Carolina advances on penalty kicks, 5-3).

On Monday night, the No. 17 North Carolina men’s soccer team (3-0-1) defeated ETSU (1-2-1), 6-0, at Dorrance Field.

As the match began, ETSU aggressively pushed into UNC territory. The Buccaneers started with an aggressive lineup that contained only three defenders. The three would sit back, crowding the box and attempting to absorb the pressure. Then, when winning the ball, they would quickly utilize short passes before launching a long ball towards the sidelines.

Unfortunately, this strategy backfired for ETSU early in the first half. A deflected shot was blasted in by senior forward Luke Hille for his first goal as a Tar Heel. 

But the Buccaneers remained steadfast in their plan, focusing their attack on first-year forward Abdi Bahur. By allowing Bahur to roam into the broader areas of the pitch, ETSU opened up its attacking options. Bahur’s dribbling attack forced first-year defender Tate Johnson to foul him on the edge of the Tar Heel’s 18-yard box.

The Buccaneer’s attack did not end in any results as UNC graduate forward Ahmad Al-Qaq and graduate forward Martin Vician created multiple clear chances on goal.

After their first goal, the Tar Heels changed their approach, focusing on first-year forward Bertil Hansen. In the 39th minute, Hansen bared down on goal, putting a shot just wide of the left post.

Following a corner in the 42nd minute, junior midfielder Sam Williams whipped an inswinging cross that found the head of junior defender Charlie Harper, extending the Tar Heels' lead.

UNC totaled 11 shots in the first half with eight on target.

And it didn't take long for the Tar Heels to score again. Another whipped cross from senior defender Andrew Czech pushed Hille to his second goal of the match, which secured his first career brace in Carolina Blue.

In the 80th minute, junior defender Henrique Cruz unleashed a dangerous tackle on Hansen, awarding UNC a penalty. Vician stepped up and scored his fourth goal of the season.

To close the game, Vician laced a free kick from just outside the book to complete the Tar Heel’s 6-0 victory. 

UNC’s next match will be this Friday at 7 p.m. at Dorrance Field, where the Tar Heels will host St.John’s

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com