Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC volleyball goes undefeated in ACC-Big Ten Challenge with win over Michigan State

20240922_Denman_UNCVballvsMSU.jpg
UNC sophomore Safi Hampton (22) spikes the ball against Michigan State at Carmichael Arena on Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024.

The UNC volleyball team (8-1) won a back-and-forth game against Michigan State (7-4), 3-1, on Sunday afternoon in Carmichael Arena to go 2-0 in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge. 

North Carolina sophomore setter Zoe Behrendt got the first serve ace, as Michigan State hit the ball out of bounds. After trading a few points, the Tar Heels went on a four point run to make the score 7-3. 

After a Michigan State out of bounds serve, UNC got the point to gain back a four point lead, which they extended after junior libero Maddy May ran into the bench to save the ball and Michigan State had a bad set. 

Sophomore outside hitter Safi Hampton got the kill off of a Behrendt set after senior outside hitter Mabrey Shaffmaster got the dig to make the score 23-17. The Tar Heels gave up the next point, but a Michigan State serve out of bounds and a shot into the net gave UNC the first set, 25-18.  

After graduate outside hitter Emani’ Foster got the kill on a long rally to tie the score at 5-5 in the second set, the Tar Heels allowed several Michigan State points, including two in a row off of blocks at the net. 

But Foster got North Carolina back in the set with a long kill, and a Michigan State miscommunication tied the set at 9-9. The Tar Heels were unable to keep up, though, allowing Michigan State to go on a 14-7 run to shore up the second set, including three UNC errors. 

North Carolina started the third set off strong, getting a dig on the first point that led to a Michigan State out of bounds error. The set was back and forth for a while, with neither team having more than a one point lead for several minutes. 

Tar Heels created a small gap after Foster tapped the ball for a kill. This started a short Tar Heel run that included a long rally full of saves, which ultimately ended in a North Carolina Kill off a Michigan State player. 

After Michigan State came back to take a 19-17 lead, UNC went on a 8-4 run to win the third set, culminating in a kill to the right from Foster. 

UNC went on a 7-2 run to start the fourth set. Michigan State kept themselves in the set, but the Tar Heels maintained at least a two point lead throughout the set. They put the set and the game away from a kill to the middle from Shaffmaster, her fifth of the set. 

UNC will play Syracuse on Friday, Sept. 22 at 7 p.m. in Carmichael Arena.

@BeckettBrant

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com