Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC volleyball defeats Boston College, 3-1, to remain undefeated at Carmichael

0929_Patterson_BostonVB_Selects9.jpg
UNC junior libero Carson Overbeck (20) celebrates her ace with her teammates at the women's volleyball game at Carmichael Arena on Sunday, Sept. 29. The Tar Heels won against Boston College 3-1.

The UNC volleyball team (10-1, 2-0 ACC) defeated Boston College (7-7, 0-2 ACC) 3-1 on Sunday afternoon in Carmichael Arena.

“I feel like they're getting better and better every weekend,” head coach Mike Schall said. “That's how they've evolved to this point in the season. I anticipate that will continue.”

The first set was a back-and-forth contest. Both teams alternated scores until redshirt sophomore middle blocker Chelsea Thorpe committed an attack error, giving BC a 13-11 lead.

Through the middle of the first set, Boston College got off to a hot start, but North Carolina managed to keep the score within three. UNC struggled to defend BC sophomore outside hitter Halle Schroder, who racked up five kills and pushed the Eagles ahead 16-13. 

The Tar Heels fought back, and the momentum shifted. Shaffmaster blasted a cross-court shot past a double block to tie it up 16-16. UNC stood firm, clinching the first set 25-19.

In the second set, three solid, top-spin serves from Shaffmaster provided three quick points for North Carolina to start the second set.

The Tar Heels continued applying pressure throughout the second set, anchored by sophomore Safi Hampton and sophomore setter Zoe Behrendt.

“We talk about being balanced as an offense,” Behrendt said. “It takes our whole offense to do that.”

Then, the Eagles caught fire. Graduate student setter Sophia Lambros served as the launchpad for a variety of attacks. Schroder diced up the UNC blocks with diagonal runs, leaving their marker unable to block them.

Unfortunately for the Tar Heels, despite bringing the setback to a deuce, two errors from Shaffmaster and Thorpe ended the set 26-24.

The third set opened with a long rally. A diving save from Hampton kept UNC alive in the opening point. However, Shaffmaster was stuffed by senior middle blocker Julia Haggerty, giving the Eagles the early lead. The Boston College defense held firm, and Schroder recorded her third block as the UNC offense grinded to a halt.

Just when the Tar Heels needed her most, Hampton exploded, scoring four points in quick succession, to tie it up 15-15. North Carolina took off into a 7-0 scoring run. Hampton scored the final point, winning the third set 25-23. 

Throughout the fourth set, Behrendt incorporated more sets over the middle. Behrendt mainly targeted first-year middle blocker Jackie Taylor, who scored multiple times throughout the fourth set. With some late-match heroics by Hampton and Shaffmaster, the Tar Heels notched a 24-21 victory in the final set.

“We had to use everyone to keep the blockers guessing,” graduate setter Taylor Eisert said. “That was our game plan.”

North Carolina will take on Duke at Cameron Indoor Stadium Wednesday at 6:30 p.m.

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com