Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

No. 8 UNC women's soccer downs Syracuse, 1-0, to remain undefeated in ACC play

0829_Patterson_NorthDakotaWSOC_Selects.jpg
UNC freshman Bella Gaetino (8) attacks the ball during the women's soccer game against North Dakota at Dorrance Field on Thursday, Aug. 29, 2024. UNC won 3-0.

The No. 8 UNC women’s soccer team (10-1) beat Syracuse (6-5-1), 1-0, on Sunday afternoon at SU Soccer Stadium in Syracuse, N.Y. to remain undefeated in ACC play. 

UNC came out strong, forcing two shots and two corners in the first five minutes of the game. Syracuse resorted to a four-back formation to try and contain the Tar Heel offense. 

While North Carolina continued to pressure the Orange, the Tar Heels were unable to connect on a couple of crosses during the first 25 minutes of the game and seemingly fell flat for the remainder of the half. 

UNC’s best opportunity came in the 27th minute of the game off of a Syracuse deflection, where the ball found first-year midfielder Ashley Pennie’s foot at the top of the box. Syracuse goalkeeper Shea Vanderbosch aggressively came out of the net and collided with Pennie to make the save.  

In the 42nd minute, UNC attempted their seventh shot of the half. After dribbling around a Syracuse defender at the top of the box UNC’s redshirt junior midfielder Emerson Elgin fired a shot to the bottom right corner of the net that was saved by Vanderbosch.  

While neither team found the net in the first half, North Carolina shined defensively, allowing zero shots, compared to the eight shots taken by the Tar Heels. 

Syracuse started the second half with high pressure on North Carolina. The Orange forced a corner kick four minutes into the half. Taken by Erin Flurey, the ball curved towards the net forcing UNC graduate goalkeeper Clare Gagne to make a punching save. 

The Tar Heels came back with pressure of their own when a ball into the box resulted in a senior forward Bella Sember low corner shot, forcing Vanderbosch to make a save with her foot. 

Syracuse continued to keep a lot of players back on defense, forcing the Tar Heels to stay out of the middle of the pitch. 

In the 65th minute, the referees stopped the game to review a potential foul on Syracuse in the 18-yard box. After a couple minutes of deliberation, the referees called a foul on Kate Murphy in the box. 

The Tar Heels sent Sember to the penalty spot with a chance to put her team in front. Sember netted the ball in the bottom left corner to take the lead with 25 minutes left in the game. 

Sember received her first yellow card of the season with an elbow into the face of Gabby Wisbeck at half field 22 minutes later. The referees convened for a couple minutes before upholding their yellow card decision. 

The Orange were awarded a free kick but the shot was easily saved by Gagne. 

Syracuse's best chance of the game came just two minutes later by Flurey, a shot which was deflected and saved by Gagne, preventing the Orange from tying the game. 

North Carolina will return to Dorrance Field on Friday, Sept. 27 at 7 p.m. to take on the Virginia Cavaliers. 

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com