Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

No. 10 North Carolina defeats Wake Forest, 1-0, in first ACC match of the season

20240912_Thiessen_WSoccer-8.jpg
UNC senior midfielder Makenna Dominguez (11) tries to block a pass during UNC's game against Wake Forest at Dorrance Field on Sep. 12, 2024.

In the first ACC regular season game of the year, No. 10 North Carolina women’s soccer (8-1) bested the Wake Forest Deacons (5-2-1), 1-0, at Dorrance Field Thursday night.

Wake Forest started out hot with sophomore forward Sierra Sythe attempting a shot within the first minute of play that ultimately missed wide. 

A couple of minutes later, senior midfielder Emily Colton, a transfer out of UNC, attempted another goal for the Deacons, but her shot hit the woodwork. 

North Carolina’s defense struggled to contain Wake Forest while the offense could not generate any momentum. 

As two Deacons crowded UNC senior midfielder Makenna Dominguez, she fell into a split while attempting to reach a pass. Senior forward Bella Sember picked up the loose ball, but the Tar Heels still could not convert on the opportunity. 

“I could tell by the demeanor of the players in the beginning, they were a little bit tentative,” interim head coach Damon Nahas said. 

This was the problem that plagued North Carolina up until the 26th minute. 

Two minutes after junior forward Kate Faasse received a yellow card, Dominguez found Faasse on the right side of the field. Faasse promptly fired a shot into the left corner of the net. This was the junior's sixth goal of the season. 

“I just saw her playing the ball," Faasse said. "She had range and time. She played it. A little off touch to the side but I saw the keeper was coming out and just slipped it."

Up by one, UNC fell back into an offensive stalemate while the Deacons continued to take shots on goal, outshooting the Tar Heels 6-1 in the first half.

The second half of the game remained a deadlock. North Carolina’s offense kept up with Wake Forest, boasting two shot attempts, but no shots crossed the goal line. Graduate goalkeeper Clare Gagne came up with a save in the 78th minute, holding the Deacons scoreless. 

In a physical matchup, North Carolina committed 11 fouls and picked up two yellow cards, while Wake Forest was called for 12 fouls and earned three yellow cards. The Tar Heels ultimately used the physicality to their advantage, preventing Wake Forest from tying the game. 

“Definitely the most physical game just because of how much pressure and how much is at stake, especially as the first ACC game,” first-year defender Trinity Armstrong said. 

UNC will travel to Pennsylvania on Thursday, Sept. 19, at 7 p.m. to take on the Pittsburgh Panthers. 

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com