Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

CDS provides halal-certified chicken in dining halls under new vendor

IMG_7669.jpg
CDS employee Francisca Ventura serves food from Latinx communities on Thursday, Sept. 26, 2019 at Lenoir Dining Hall in Chapel Hill.

Carolina Dining Services reintroduced halal-certified chicken on Sept. 6 at their Simply Prepared stations in Chase Dining Hall and the Top of Lenoir Dining Hall

CDS Registered Dietician Sapthalee July wrote in an email statement to The Daily Tar Heel that CDS has partnered with their distributor, Sysco Raleigh, to provide halal chicken options for Muslim students and faculty on campus. 

Halal meat and poultry is slaughtered in a way deemed acceptable under Islamic Law. The chicken is processed at Mar-Jac Poultry, which holds a halal certification. 

“Our vendor’s halal products are inspected and approved by a third-party Islamic organization, ensuring the slaughter and packaging keeps according to halal standards,” July wrote.

July wrote CDS began serving halal protein options in 2022 at the Simply Prepared station in Chase Dining Hall. She wrote that halal brisket and lamb were offered in the same location in 2023, along with CDS extending their halal chicken option to the Top of Lenoir. However, dining halls ran into sourcing issues in August 2024.

“Our vendor couldn’t meet the demand for halal meats during the first two weeks of the fall semester,” July wrote.

Following previous student concern about halal-labeled food in Chase Dining Hall, CDS temporarily removed their halal labels in response to the sourcing issue.

Nawfal Mohamed, president of the UNC Muslim Students Association, said MSA worked with CDS to voice their concerns around accessing halal certified dietary options and emphasize the importance of halal options. 

He said the CDS was very receptive to dietary requests and offered to provide details to students who wished to know the supply information.

Zayba Iqbal, first-year student and member of MSA, said one of her fears coming to UNC was not having access to the foods she was used to at home. Iqbal said having halal food in the dining halls makes her feel closer to her religious identity, saying that CDS has been great at listening and making dietary accommodations for a seemingly small community on campus.

“I feel the introduction of halal meat in Lenoir and Chase is a really big step towards inclusivity and diversity,” she said.

Rabab Fatima, a first-year and MSA member, said being away from home has posed a barrier for her, especially when eating out. 

“Being a nutrition student, I understand the importance of having a balanced meal, and I just didn’t see that in the beginning,” Fatima said.

Fatima said without halal-friendly options at the dining hall, much of her daily intake is pizza, pasta and salad. 

Mohamed also said these food items and other vegetarian options were the main food sources during his first year, saying he "hated" his food situation as a first-year and would look forward to going home to have chicken and beef.

"I would eat a sandwich every day, just to get the protein, every day," Mohamed said. "I would eat the same thing over and over."

He also said that the amount of halal options impacted his college experience.

"It probably affected a lot of Muslim’s experiences as well. Because at the end of the day, what you put in your body determines a lot. It determines how you feel,” he said

July wrote that  CDS has collaborated with MSA for special accommodations during Ramadan, including providing dates for breaking fasts and adding halal-friendly options during late-night hours. She said CDS will continue to work with MSA to provide dietary accommodations for the Muslim community on campus. 

Both parties are working to bring back halal brisket and lamb options in the future.

“We’re excited to continue working with [CDS] to try and have more halal options for Muslims on campus,” Mohamed said.

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com