Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Conway Scholars reflect on donation, impact of nursing one year later

university-conway-scholars-19.jpg
Senior Kyndall Estep stands by the Old Well on Sept. 25. Estep won the Conway scholarship in August 2023.

Last year, the UNC School of Nursing presented 51 students with the Conway Scholarship. The scholarship, founded by Joanne and William E. Conway Jr., is awarded to high-achieving students in medical education that have financial constraints. Now, these students are reflecting on the impact of the donation. 

“I felt like nursing was the best way for me to help others,” senior nursing student and Conway Scholar Helen Gaitan said.

In 2023, the Conways donated $5 million through their Bedford Falls Foundation to support nursing students at UNC. 

Senior nursing student and Conway Scholar Kyndall Estep said the scholarship took weight off of her shoulders as it allowed her to pursue extracurriculars without worrying about affording her education.

“Without nurse educators, we can't train more nurses,” Estep said. “So having that gift from Mr. Conway and his wife allows me to graduate with less debt, significantly less debt, which allows me to consider the possibility of going back to graduate school to get my master's in nursing education and hopefully be a nursing educator one day.”

Gaitan is a first generation college student who said she always wanted to get a nursing degree from UNC.

“It's like a reminder that you have people cheering for you in a way, pushing you towards your end goal,” Gaitan said.

The scholarship also serves to combat North Carolina's nursing faculty shortage.

“I think I just kind of have to go into the mindset of, I am going into a field that needs help, that maybe it might not be the easiest job at the moment, but [that] doesn't mean it's not worth fighting for,” Gaitan said.

Both Estep and Gaitan hope to help specific communities post-graduation.

Estep plans to go to Winston Salem to work as a nurse. She said that because UNC School of Nursing is ranked as the 4th best in the country, she feels she is in a strong position to help people from her home population rather than staying in the Triangle.

Gaitan said her goal is to serve many Spanish-speaking patients.

“I always think of my family and what they've gone through. It kind of deserves a special place in my heart to help those who dominantly speak Spanish,” Gaitan said.

On Oct. 25, Bill Conway will present the keynote speech at the groundbreaking ceremony for the University's new Nursing Education Building. The new building is 20,000 feet larger, increasing its accessibility to students.

“I'm really excited to meet him at the groundbreaking ceremony and get to be able to thank him and his family in person for their wonderful donation,” Estep said.

Dean of the UNC School of Nursing Valerie Howard said the scholarship helps support both undergraduates and graduates. 

“We are committed to preparing the future nursing workforce with the excellence that we've experienced in the past and we will continue to require,” Howard said. “The patients, our people of North Carolina, deserve to be cared for by a Carolina nurse.” 

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com