Sunday, Sept. 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Flagstock 2024 draws less than 400 attendees, numbers expected to be in the thousands

20240902_Zinn_Flagstock-13.jpg
The Flagstock stage is pictured on Monday, Sept. 2, 2024. Flagstock was held at the American Legion Post 6 in Chapel Hill.

Flagstock 2024 the invite-onlyrager” organized for select UNC fraternities who held up the U.S. flag amid pro-Palestine protests on campus on April 30 — was held on Monday, Labor Day, at the American Legion Post 6 in Chapel Hill. Organizers of the event said that they had distributed up to 7,000 tickets to various UNC fraternities and sororities, with an expected turnout in the thousands. 

An estimated 250-350 attendees were present at the event, with a large portion not appearing to be college students.

In a tweet two hours before the concert's start, John Rich of Big & Rich invited anyone in the area to attend, posting the location name and address. On stage, Rich said the event was purposely not open to the public, and if it was, there would be more people in attendance.

20240902_Zinn_Flagstock-19.jpg
Big Kenny of country duo "Big & Rich" performs at Flagstock, which was held at the American Legion Post 6 in Chapel Hill on Monday, Sept. 2, 2024.

Senior Brendan Schultz said he stepped in when the American flag was being taken down and replaced with the Palestinian flag on April 30, but said he was not fully aware of everything going on at the time.

"I don't love the optics of us being seen as counter-protesters," Schultz said. "That was never the intention." 

He also said that action on April 30 has turned into a "red versus blue thing" when it shouldn't have been that way, referencing UNC fraternity brothers speaking at the Republican National Convention this July

"When the 'artists' that were there are singing lyrics like “Fuck Joe Biden” as they did last night, it’s evident that in no way were [organizers] Susan or John trying to hide the agenda that was being pushed," Schultz wrote in a follow-up statement. "This was not a frat party, it was a MAGA party, plain and simple."

20240902-Diehl-Flagstock-6.JPG
A couple embraces while watching performers at Flagstock which took place at the American Legion Post 6 in Chapel Hill on Monday, Sept. 2, 2024. Performers included Big & Rich, Lee Greenwood, Aaron Lewis, Five for Fighting and others.

The location of Flagstock was sent to media on Monday morning, and was withheld from the public until 6 p.m. Media was also asked in the email to leave by 9:30 p.m. and were told not to "cold-approach" students at the event, saying that students interested in interviews would be in the media pit. 

With over $515,000 raised through a GoFundMe this May, the event featured nine food trucks, a series of small planes flying overhead to kick off the event, a VIP tent for students, hired Hooters workers and eight different musical acts. Organizer John Noonan wrote in a June 10 update on the fundraiser site that excess funds would go toward charities including Back the Blue NC, Wounded Warrior Project, Children of Fallen Patriots and the Zeta Beta Tau Foundation. 

Organizers have not yet released details of how much funding was put toward the event. 

The event was advertised as nonpartisan, however numerous speakers and performers mentioned partisan issues including the upcoming 2024 presidential election. 

Musician Aaron Lewis performed a rendition of his song "Let's Go Fishing," which included lyrics such as "Let's go, Brandon," "We can make America great again" and "fuck Joe Biden." 

20240902-Diehl-Flagstock-5.JPG
Planes fly over the stage at Flagstock to kick off the event at the American Legion Post 6 in Chapel Hill on Monday, Sept. 2, 2024.

There were also speeches about the war in Gaza and antisemitism. 

John Ondrasik, known by his stage name Five for Fighting, addressed the crowd saying that students have been "seduced by the dogma" and believe they are doing something virtuous when protesting for Palestinian rights. 

"So it's a cult," Ondrasik said. "We have to save them. We have to think about them. Certainly, everybody has the right to free speech, your fellow students, your faculty, your presidents, but we have the right to free speech too, and that's what tonight is all about."

20240902-Diehl-Flagstock-1.JPG
Attendees of Flagstock tied red and blue ribbons given out by Old Glory Bank on their boots at the event held at the American Legion Post 6 in Chapel Hill on Monday, Sept. 2, 2024.
20240902-Diehl-Flagstock-2.JPG
Attendees of Flagstock play tug of war near the VIP tent at the American Legion Post 6 in Chapel Hill on Monday, Sept. 2, 2024.

20240902_Zinn_Flagstock-11.jpg
An attendee records the flyover at Flagstock, which was held at the American Legion Post 6 in Chapel Hill on Monday, Sept. 2, 2024.
20240902-Diehl-Flagstock-3.JPG
Attendees of Flagstock celebrate after winning a game of tug of war outside the VIP tent at the American Legion Post 6 in Chapel Hill on Monday, Sept. 2, 2024.
20240902_Zinn_Flagstock-18.jpg
Attendees raise ther drinks into the air at Flagstock, which was held at the American Legion Post 6 in Chapel Hill on Monday, Sept. 2, 2024.
20240902-Diehl-Flagstock-4.JPG
Families and people of all ages attended Flagstock at the American Legion Post 6 in Chapel Hill on Monday, Sept. 2, 2024.
20240902_Zinn_Flagstock-20.jpg
An older couple dances together at Flagstock, which was held at the American Legion Post 6 in Chapel Hill on Monday, Sept. 2, 2024.